Sign in with
Your question

8 cores option?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 15, 2008 6:46:40 AM

I am running 12 ip cameras with recording for my retailing business with quadcore 6700 oc to 3.2 but it does not cut it. Not enough processing power. I was going to upgrade to an 8 cores server or 8 cores workstation from Dell or lenovo for about $1000. Now CORE i7 920 with 4 cores 8 threads at 2.66 gh for about $300 almost came out and I can build one for about the same amount of money.
Should I get an 8 physical cores Server or an 4 cores 8 threads PC? will the 4 cores 8 threads CPU be as powerfull as the 8 physical cores CPU?
Thanks
Dan

More about : cores option

October 15, 2008 7:16:33 AM

Wow good question, would make an excellent future article for Toms hardware.

8Cores vs 4core + Hyperthreading i7 Style

I dont think anyone will be able to give you a definite answer as there's no alot of information on this topic available.

My 2 Cents...
...If a Quad Core i7 with multi threading cant handle this for you what is the point of Hyper Threading....

October 15, 2008 7:24:07 AM

with the kind of power you need, how is your memory doing? going dual-quad core xeon will definitely pick up the pace, and quad-quad core is an option if budget allows.

It also depends on the cameras. there are video-in cards with this exact thing in mind, the card takes the processing load, you can load up a system with cards, taking the load off the CPU. I have seen these encoding cards cost more than a xeon, but look into it.
Related resources
October 15, 2008 7:57:16 AM

Core i7 2P workstation. 16 threads FTW!
October 15, 2008 11:42:50 PM

Are you sure its your CPU thats maxing out? to record 12 things at once to HDD would require some pretty high sequetial write speeds, the other one to thing about would be NIC interface what kind of bandwidth are you drawing there as well?

I would have thought as long as the res isnt to high on the cameras that a quad core would be enough for this task.
October 16, 2008 5:27:24 AM

It is definately the CPU.
I've being running this for years. There were 4 then 6 then 8 then 10 and now 12 ip cameras. I had verry decent video card and raid 0 for hardrive. I was using core 2 dual 2.6 OC to 3.0 then QUAD X6700 OC to 3.0. I have XP SP3 viewing and recording 12 airlink AIC 250 camera with AIRLINK IPviewPro40038 at 680x480. As long as i hit recording on the 9th camera, it is becoming very slow and after the 12th, it is not responding any more but atleast IPviewPro is still running but slow. CPU perfomance is always maxed out. As alway XP does not use alot of memory. Do not get me wrong, it can handle viewing of 12 cameras perfectly but not recording on all 12. Look like 4 cores max out at 9 cameras. Any more than that I think more CORE or more THREAD should be use.
If anybody had any idea or already experience some thing like this, please feel free to input.
Thanks
Dan
October 16, 2008 5:44:22 AM

Based on the last description, it sounds like hard drive to me...
October 17, 2008 12:56:22 AM

^totally agree... if the CPU can handle viewing 12 it should have to do much more processing for recording. It should be the max out on the hdd...
!