Which NAS should I buy

padde

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hi!

So I´m been keen on a NAS for some time now and this X-mas it´s going to happen :kaola:
As always when buying something there is that question "Which one?".

I want to be able to log into the OS on the NAS so that I can uppgrade and run whatever torrent client I want. I also want it to be an PPTP client for downloading from internet and I also want it to be an PPTP server so when I connect remotly I want that sense of security. That is the main things. Oh and also 4disks minimum, and in that pricerange (max 600USD) =)

I have been looking on Readynas NV+ RND4000 (Netgear) that seems great cause with developers kit I can get a remoteShell to the Debian OS, thus installing PPTP and whatever torrent client I want. The thing I´m worried about is the horsepower of the thing. The ram I can uppgrade to 1GB but the processor is only 266MHz which isn´t that much even tho it´s an SPARC.

Question:
Do someone here know a good NAS that lets me atleast do the things above and also have a processor that can handle lots of torrents seeding/downloading and streaming movies without dying.

BR
Padde