Hard disk inaccessible after unknown encryption

phoenixhou

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
My TravelStar 5k100 hard disk was originally setted in a USB hard drive case as mobile storage. After lending to someone who stupidly tried to do some "encryption" on my disk, it is now completely inaccessible. Even I take it out from the box and plug into various IDE or USB/IDE adapters to different computers, it won't work.

Under Windows XP, the disk (as an USB hard drive) was recognised as an USB mass storage but no partitions cshown. I tried numerous partition and diagnositc tools, such as Partition Magic, Norton Disk Doctor, MHDD, the only information they can report is the model number. I even tried diskwipe and low level format, but also end up with write error.

It seems this disk was somehow write protected. My question is: is anything I can do to make this disk functional? The data on disk was not important. I only need the disk working.

samb

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
zapart.exe should do the trick. google it - but make sure it is pointed at the right disk in your system, as you will have to partition and format the disk after running.

Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS