What SSD or should i just partition

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
i have a WD Caviar black 500gb. Basically i dont want it to slow down and i know this sounds really nooby but when i install programs on it, thats what happens and the boot time and responsiveness lengthens quite considerably.

note: I defrag with defraggler and use ccleaner pretty much everyday..

Will partitioning the drive and having one for OS and one for apps fix the 'fragmented feel' and keep it snappy?

Ok the other solution is to buy an ssd for os and apps. It out of the ocz vertes or the intel X25-m G2 in my mind.
What one?

thanks guys

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I know defraggler is good.. however I use ultimate defrag and never looked back.. you can specify which files and folders you want at the beginning ( fastest ) part of the drive the have a free version so wouldn't hurt to give it a show... I just have it set to put 20% of the most used files at the start of the drive along with boot info and manually had specific software I want to load fast COD waw and mw, office etc just don't go overboard lol Also to note partitioning has advantages and disadvantages.. and there is debate on whether multiple partition makes sense. when you have multiple partitions, the read heads still have to fly all over the drive.. so the closer the commonly used data, the faster the drive will be.. however with ssd's that is not the case... if you want the fastest boot times etc, ssd is the way to go.. I have not had the luxury of owning one yet, however everyone I talk to says it is night and day performance wise

"edit" here are some benchmarks comparing velociraptor and 1TB drives to some available ssds http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403

There is nothing that you can do with your hard drive that will come anywhere near close to the performance of an SSD. The X25M/G2 drives are the best consumer drives available, but the OCZ Vertex drives are also reasonably well regarded and support the use of TRIM under Windows 7.

j4mi3

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

does the x25-m series not support trim then?

Hard Line is correct - Intel is making a firmware update available that brings TRIM support to it's X25M "G2" drives - but the "G1" (last year's) drives won't support it.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
OCZ is currently shipping drives with Trim capable enabled. No Firmware update needed to run Trim with Win7. I know this applies to the Vertex and Agility series drives.