Mineral harvester question

Last response: in Video Games
June 17, 2004 11:09:37 PM

I am fairly new to the business of surveying/harvesting
resources (always been a combat skills character). I have
six harvesters going right now collecting minerals, all are
medium-sized harvesters with BER 10.

My question is how much difference is there between the
medium harvesters and the heavy mineral harvesters? I
have seen some that have BER 13 for sale at vendors.

I know that the heavy harvesters will collect more, of course,
but they are selling for 150K as opposed to the mediums
at about 40K each. Is there that much difference?

DK (tempest server)
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:09:38 PM

You are not only looking at the higher purchase price, but probably
higher operating costs with the heavies. All for an extra 3 BER. Your
best bet is with the 10 BER mediums, in my opinion.

Tral Alfemo
Novice Architect
Novice Doctor, et al.
Corbantis

> My question is how much difference is there between the
> medium harvesters and the heavy mineral harvesters? I
> have seen some that have BER 13 for sale at vendors.
>
> I know that the heavy harvesters will collect more, of course,
> but they are selling for 150K as opposed to the mediums
> at about 40K each. Is there that much difference?
>
> DK (tempest server)

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:09:38 PM

Dave King wrote:

> I am fairly new to the business of surveying/harvesting
> resources (always been a combat skills character). I have
> six harvesters going right now collecting minerals, all are
> medium-sized harvesters with BER 10.
>
> My question is how much difference is there between the
> medium harvesters and the heavy mineral harvesters? I
> have seen some that have BER 13 for sale at vendors.
>
> I know that the heavy harvesters will collect more, of course,
> but they are selling for 150K as opposed to the mediums
> at about 40K each. Is there that much difference?
>
> DK (tempest server)

Unless you are getting the most out of a rare spawn, that's not worth
it. If you need to expand your business and you are out of lots, they
are woth it. If you sell out your harvest every week and you could sell
more, then they are worth it. When I was a harvester, I pulled in 30k a
day selling at 3 cr/unit. If you want a piece of a rare spawn and can't
get a harvester that close, due to crowding, you'll want a heavy.

So yeah, I do see reasons why you might choose a heavy.
June 18, 2004 12:21:55 AM

"Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am fairly new to the business of surveying/harvesting
> resources (always been a combat skills character). I have
> six harvesters going right now collecting minerals, all are
> medium-sized harvesters with BER 10.
>
> My question is how much difference is there between the
> medium harvesters and the heavy mineral harvesters? I
> have seen some that have BER 13 for sale at vendors.
>
> I know that the heavy harvesters will collect more, of course,
> but they are selling for 150K as opposed to the mediums
> at about 40K each. Is there that much difference?

The difference in price is due to the resources required, which are out
of whack compared to the cost (resource wise)/benefit of mediums. Below
are the required resources (sorry in advance about any poor formatting):

Medium Heavy
750 Low Grade Ore 15,400 Low Grade Ore
720 Metal 7,480 Metal
517 Steel 1,540 Steel
500 Aluminum 1,000 Aluminum
250 Chemical 500 Chemical
250 Copper 500 Copper
200 Reactive Gas 400 Reactive Gase
150 Non-Ferrous Metal 300 Non-Ferrous Metal
20 Inert Gas 150 Inert Gas

Those totals include all the resources for the components also, for
instance the Mediums only require one generator turbine, while the Heavy
requires two, so they need to be made in a factory (more
power/maintenance). You go from one small storage module in the Medium
to six in the Heavy. So I feel the price adjustment is definately
justified.

Whether or not they are worth the price increase is a different subject.
It basically depends on your needs and the quality of the resource you
are collecting. To determine this you need to know how the harvesting
works. The units per minute is determined by the BER (Base Extraction
Rate) multiplied by the percent of the concentration it is on. So a BER
10 on a 100% spot will collect 10 units per minute, while a BER 13 will
collect 13 units per minute. On a perfect day (24 hour uptime, no
server downtime), there is a discrepency of 4,320 units. On a 75% spot,
the difference drops to 3,240 - while on a 60% spot (highest for ore and
the like), it is 2,592. If you are selling a resource for five (5) cpu,
you can earn 12,960cr more per day on a 60% spot per heavy (BER 13).

With the increase in extraction rate, you get an increase in the
maintenance and power requirements also. I don't have the info with me,
so I can't throw that into the equation. But then, you can get three
(almost four) mediums for the price of one heavy. That would be
comparing a BER of 30 to the BER of 13, but also paying three times the
cost in power/maintenance/lots. Heavy harvesters also require more flat
space to build on - that can be a big problem in some of the more hilly
areas.

In short (way too late), you do get an increase in production from the
heavies. Is the price differential worth it? That depends on your
situation. Personally, I have an army of mediums, reinforced by some
heavies for when the situation dictates (serious need of a resource,
amazing quality that I want to stockpile or sell, etc).

- Oalan (Rambling as much as ever)
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:00:15 PM

"Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am fairly new to the business of surveying/harvesting
> resources (always been a combat skills character). I have
> six harvesters going right now collecting minerals, all are
> medium-sized harvesters with BER 10.
>
> My question is how much difference is there between the
> medium harvesters and the heavy mineral harvesters? I
> have seen some that have BER 13 for sale at vendors.
>
> I know that the heavy harvesters will collect more, of course,
> but they are selling for 150K as opposed to the mediums
> at about 40K each. Is there that much difference?
>
> DK (tempest server)

I harvest resources for income in swg. I only use heavies. Although the
cost difference is large, they will pay for themselves almost as quickly as
a medium and the fact is, with a limited number of lots available, i want to
get the most i can from that lot, that means heavies. I also rely on the
additional storage, so i can plant a harv and leave it for 4 days or more
(sometimes i'm out of town for several days and it can be a week before i
get back to them).

Erambacca / Eloise
Wookiee / Smuggler
Tempest
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:00:16 PM

you can visit www.swgcraft.com and look for harvest calculator to help give
you more precise information on the harvesting difference of a ber 10 and
ber 13. you can add the main. and power cost at the bottom according to the
difference in harvesters as well.

!