rium2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
lately my pc has been crashing due to what i think is my graphics card overheating. My graphics cards is the 8800GT. My monitor goes graizy with lots of colored lines but sound still works to an extent. I think it is my graphics card because when it freezes the card becomes VERY hot. I was wondering if there is any known issues about this card type overheating as i have only owned my pc for a year and if there is any ways to fix the cooling in the card without having to buy a new Graphics card. I am using Riva Tuner to increase the speed of my fan and it seems to have helped but to play games i must increase the increase % to 80% and i'm a little worried since im new the overclocking and im scared i may be damaging my graphics card.

tecmo34

Administrator
You have two options:
1.) Buy a PCI slot fan to blow air directly on the card. I did this on an old Dell system I was using the 8800GT in and if helped a lot.
2.) Download Percison, as stated above, and adjust your fan speeds until you get a cool temp. I run both my GTX 260 Core 216 SC's at 80% fan speed with no problems. A lot of people set their GPU fans to 100% from the start to keep them cooler. You should have no issue with adjusting your fan speeds.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
^ The best option is to take apart your card and get a can of air and blow the whole thing out.

Most likely it is LOADED with dust and that is why it is not operating 100%

rium2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
hey thanks for the fast reply :)
i checked the temp when gaming and it got to 68 C before it crashes. Tried to get my graphics card out earlier today but there was 2 screws which i can not get to and i don't have anything to unscrew them with either. gonna have another look at it see if i can get in and clean it now.
Was thinking a fan was a good idea, think i will buy one when ever i can get some money :p just wanted to make sure it was overheating before i spent money on something and realised i needed to buy a different piece of hardware altogether.
I was wondering how safe it was to run an overclocking system every time your running a game (a lot of the time for me ^^) since when i use about 45% overclocking i can watch videos and 80% run games but im very new to the overclocking stuff and i am paranoid it might be causing more harm than good.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Those temps are fine... id actually say that there damn good.

Sunthin is up.

Try this:

go here ...
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Download that and then run it and look for artifacts.

If you dont know what they will look like, there are video's on that ^ page that show you what to look for.

If there are no artifacts then i would do this:

Move your computer as far as possible away from the monitor.

I have had powersupplies cause electric interferance with the monitor before.

Then boot your computer again and see if the problem is still there.

rium2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
i downloaded furmark, at first i could not complete the test i tried 3 times consecutively it froze about 60% 1st time 40% next and about 38% on the last try. from what i could see from the tests there was no artifacts tho.
I tried the test with overclocking and i was able to finish the benchmark test and there were no artifacts as far as i could see.
at the moment my pc is sitting in the middle of the room so i can access it easy and because i was looking at the graphics card so i don't think that can be it.
when i looked at the card for dust there was a little bit inside of it but nothing substantial, after cleaning the dust there was no difference as far as i can see.
Think it could be a virus of some sort? i've done checks but i never really trust avg since i only have the free version

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
You mention that you overclock 40 to 80 percent? Please explain this in more detail. What are you overclocking?

An 8800 should plod along between 54 and 60 degrees with fans manually set to 86 percent. I always noticed with the 8800's that once you started slipping over 65 artifacting would start to occur.

If you are ocing the card it will run hotter. If you pushed it to hard you probably broke it. Otherwise as said above its probably chocka's with lint/dust and crap. Remove the card and go to town with a can of contact cleaner.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most GPUs should be fine until you get to the mid 80's (C). Now, for most people, this is extremely hot (100C = boiling water), but be reminded that these chips are designed for this. Most cards with stock cooling run in the 50-60's C just fine. When you start getting close to 80C, that's pretty warm, but even then thermal shutdown is closer to 105C in most cases.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
It might not be a graphics card problem after all, it could be the CPU overheating. Check the temps and post some updates. Your card is fairly cool so there shouldn't be any problems.

rium2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
hey sorry iv not replied recently been out for a while , i downloaded the software "Coretemp" no clue how it works, couldn't find a guide so i assume its just a thing you downloaded and it says your temp.
assuming I'm reading it correctly it was at 40degrees on core0 and 38 on core1 while gaming. again not really sure how to use this stuff but the load on core 1 was 94-98% not sure if thats good lol.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

There is more than a few guides etc to help ya understand coretemp. When you have time take a read, try Google.

knightmirror

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hey rium2000 as stated above ALL of your temps are fine and good too. Does your older card work ok? Have you tried a different card to isolate the problem as being GPU?

I am wondering if you have tried slightly loosening motherboard screws with equal turn on each screw and then unfasten and resecure GPU into Mb as well as DVI or VGA cable to card. Point being is that your case could be a cheap piece of crap lol and warped; which is attached to MB... therefore, forbidding pins from proper contact when heated.

If you isolate the problem you can give better clues to a solution.