Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I decided to upgrade my parents old computer with part from my old computer. They are using an old Pent 4 at like 2ghz with 512 ram (i think) ....so anything i build them will be a lot better.

Using my old parts----

Intel Bad Axe (1st edition)
2gb Patriot Ram 667
Nvidia 7900GTX

I ended up leaving all that in my old build, but i took out my Raptor drive, other hdd, the CPU (which was a E6600), and the disk drives.

I have all the other things that i need, but i'm not certain on which CPU i should get. I am looking for one that is under $100. I'm unsure if I should get a celeron or a pentium. Again, this isn't going to be a gaming computer. Pretty much an internet + some programs computer. With the Original Bad Axe, there is no over clocking so can't really look at a good CPU that over clocks good...it won't matter. Any suggestions? I haven't had to buy a CPU in 3 years so i'm not really knowing what is good as far as low/mid range.

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Well both of those were in consideration...is there going to be much of a difference between 2ghz and 2.2? Remember i can't over clock....and then the price...does .2ghz justify paying an extra $10? Whatcha think? :)

4745454b

Titan
There is a HUGE difference between a 2GHz P4, and a 2GHz C2D based CPU. Not only is the C2D chip much more efficient, there are two cores to the P4s one.

If this is simply a browsing machine, I don't think you even need to get the 2200. The 2140-2180 should be more then enough.