Is Clearing the CMOS many times a bad idea?

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I recently decided to overclock my q6600 to 3.2ghz
problem is I cant get it running at 3.2ghz without 1-2 cores missing
I've read up about this issue and I found out that I need to raise my CPU PLL Voltage

I want to fix this problem my raising my CPU PLL voltage
I don't know by how much to raise it by so i'm going to go Trail&Error

My question is
Is clearing the cmos many to countless times bad? harmful to the computer, hardware
and if it was, to what components specifically?

No. Clearing the CMOS won't hurt a thing.
The thing that might cause a big problem, is exactly what are you doing that is causing you to have to clear the CMOS so many times? Apparently you are not exactly sure of what you are doing, and that is the part that would concern me the most.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Nope, it's ok. As jutpublisher said, you should first read some guides or anything like it, then raise the voltage. It's the most dangerous voltage for cpu if im not wrong. Anyone?

Learn First, Then Do

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3283&p=1

You have the same M/B I do, you're probably clearing the CMOS and you don't even have to, if you're clearing the CMOS because it won't boot at all, your settings are way off.

Don't play with PLL or VTT until you know where the boundaries are, jump into the article and start reading, print it out for on hand reference.

PM if you need to. Ryan

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

last time I cleared my cmos cause I booted up with 3.2ghz dual core and I had the cpu voltage on auto so the voltage was not the problem

how many increments do you say I should raise the CPU PLL voltage by?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Your Corsair H50 is not that great of a cooler and a Q6600 is a hot chip. You exceed the voltage by to much and it will heat up and shut down.

You need to do some research on the voltage limits of a Q6600, your mobo and take into account the efficiency of you cooler before changing anything. but its your chip so good luck.

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

reported cases of CPUs losing cores after being subjected to voltages in excess of about 2.00V.

I think I might know now why I lost cores, but in the bios it showed that I was at 1.53V .... so i'm kinda confused

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
1.53 STOP !!! Do you even know if you have a GO or B3 chip?

Man you really need to read the article Ryan linked. You are destined for disaster if you keep going without informing yourself. This is not something you want to trial and error.

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

I have the B3 Q6600

I have my CPU PLL Voltage at 1.53V

I'm still reading about overclocking and my motherboard