ATI HD4870 Benchies...

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey everyone,

I do realize that questions similar to this have probably been asked all over the net, but I wish to have simple numbers on a thread. I found a website today that showed a bunch of benchmarks with a few games, it compared the 4870/4850/9800GX2 and a few others, if anyone knows the site please post it.

I would simply like HD4870 owners to post what they get in certain games with their card. I am not getting this card to play Crysis, but I think it's a great game to analyze gfx card with. Of course, if you've got stats of any other demanding or popular game, feel free to post...

Please include specs if you judge important (ex: mobo, cpu (w/ speed if OCed), memory, etc.)

IMPORTANT: Please post your resolution, game quality, and if you had any AA.

I'm about to get the card and I just don't want to make a mistake. One more thing, if you have a manufacturer to recommend, please do.

Hopefully I don't piss off any admins with this post :D,
Patrick

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
See my signature. Resolution : 1280x1024
I play Unreal Tournament 3 at max with an average of 90 fps; Devil May Cry 4 with over 90 fps. Crysis very high no AA with
25-30 fps (in game) , benchmark - 30-35.
I have enabled in CCC all settings about image quality at maximum as well as 4xAA, 16xAF.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I'm loving my 4870. I play crysis on high, 2x AA, 1920x1200 smoothly. I don't have fraps installed, so I don't know my framerates, but its very playable.
I have a Q6600 OCed to 3.6, P5Q pro, 8gb RAM, vista 64, PC P&C 610W silencer. The card is ridiculously hot (83C under load), and I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler when my rebate money comes in. I know those temps are acceptable, I just don't like them. Its a great card, definitely worth the money.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Thanks. I saw that fix before, and I couldn't get it to work. But I figured out why, I neglected to set the algorithm to "manual". I just set fan to 50%, loaded up crysis, and it doesnt break 63C. Woot.

EDIT: So I just cranked up some settings in crysis to see what I could do with the card overclocked to 790mhz, 1000mhz (4000mhz effective). Very high was actually playable! As soon as I enabled AA though, that killed it. I'm extremely pleased with this bad boy.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey,

Thanks for your posts.

DoomTurkey: Enable console, hit the tilde key (~), and type something along the lines of r_displayinfo 3.

I have been checking cards for a long time, and for certain games, certain cards perform much better. For instance, in Call of Duty 4 and Crysis, the 9800GX2 performs better, but in other games, such as Half-Life 2, the HD4870 pwns it.

Assuming I get it for around the same price, I think I should go for the 9800GX2, it might not perform as well in some games, but I think that the next games that will come out will look and perform more like crysis and call of duty 4 than any other game.

Assuming both the HD4870 and 9800GX2 were at the same price, which would you get?

DoomTurkey: I have the Dual core version of your processor, it will perform just as well on crysis (does better on higher clocked processors than an actual lower clocked quad core), so you probably have the closest combination. I would like you to check the framerates on Crysis with everything on very high, on 1680x1050, no AA (or give me with and without if you have time).

Thanks for your support.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I've been looking at charts for the past hour. I found a site with decent testing when it comes to a whole lot of hardware, it it similar to tomshardware but it reviews are a whole lot conclusive (no offence).

Check out xbitlabs.com

The 9800GX2 beats the HD4870 in nearly every test, however, the 4870 beats the 9800GX2 in every application that doesn't support dual GPUs; which is understandable. Although it performs better than the 4870, its ores are clocked lower, so applications using one core will be better off with something like the 280GTX or the HD4870.

Still makes me want to get the 9800GX2, won't all applications run dual GPUs by the next year? Thanks.