No Video Input

andre eb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Hi,

I am having "no video input" issues in my pc. I am posting here because i am inclined to believe its a MB problem, but I have no idea actually. The output led display on the mb points that the boot proceeded normally, indeed the hard disk powers up and reads, as in regular boot, but i have this "no video input" message on the LCD screen. This problem does not present itself always, but most of the time, and always on boot. When it shows up though, and I let it run, the computer reboots itself after 5 minutes or so, i dont know why.

I have an ABIT AV8 MB with an athlon 3000+ processor. 2 512 DDR ram and an ati radeon 9800 pro video card.

All fans run fine, I have tried to assemble the mb in cardboard and with minimal stuff, only cpu ram and video card, but it failed to solve the problem. What could be wrong?

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
What kind of power supply do you have? It could be that your power supply not providing enough power to your video card thus you have the same problem, as the 9800 pro takes up a good amount of power. I would try to switch out to a cheap agp video card to confirm.

andre eb

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I am using 450w. I will try to get another agp card, they are hard to find nowadays.

The pc has been running fine with the current configuration for a year and half now, maybe the psu is dying. However radeon 9800 usually prompts a red label message to monitor when the power is insufficient.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Here's how I would try to troubleshoot this problem...

1) I would get a cheap low powered agp card and try to duplicate this problem. You can buy cheap agp cards from craigslist for a cheap price. If you have don't have the same issues, it is most likely be your power supply as you indicated that sometimes you get a red label message that it is not providing enough power times.

2) If you tried step #1 and you still have the same issues, your problem might be your motherboards slowly dying. You can try to verify by buying a new 500w+ power supply to see what happens.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
It sounds to me like your vga or dvi cable is loose (whichever you are using), before going out and buying stuff, unplug and replug that cable to make sure it is secure.

masterkillah86

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I had a simliar problem with my Athlon XP3200 and Radeon X700. I put in an old Radeon 9200 and I got my display back. The computer would still restart until I lower the frequency multiplier. I had to put it almost to half before I could get my computer to run without randomly shutting down. I think the video card went out and then messed up the MOBO.