Calladen

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I was hoping to have a couple of questions answered before I make a purchase. I've spoken with HP a couple of times, and have gotten seemingly contradictory answers.

I purchased an m8120 HP PC. It came with a 200-300 W PSU and a 7350 LE Graphic Card. I'm finally getting around to upgrade the machine. Right now, I'm looking at the 512 MB 8800 GT.

1) I was told I need a new PSU. I know there's a separate section of the forum for PSU discussion, but if I could just get some recommendations (brands to look at and/or avoid).

Right now I'm looking to buy a 500W + unit. This machine cannot SLI, and it is unlikely I will ever purchase a graphic card in a higher performance class than the 8800 GT is today. I'd like something good, but not a lot more than I need. I don't overclock my hardware, so that's not something that needs to be taken into consideration. If I need to make a new thread to discuss this, I guess I can do that.

2) I've heard the 8800 GT is a big card. Should I be concerned about it fitting in my case? It's a standard size...and I don't really anticipate it being a problem, but I'd like to know how I could find out before I make the purchase.

3) What brands would you recommend for the 8800 GT? I'm seeing some models in the low $100-120 range with rebates, and I want to make sure they aren't something I ought to avoid.

- Thanks for the help!

shaundwm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
300W PSU?
450w should suffice, annoying thing with OEMS is their PSU's can't hold an additional matchstick on top of what is already in the system...
I always preferred ASUS as a manufacturer in boards but there is no particular reason why, others should be able to give a better opinion.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
i have a pair of inno3d 8800gt's im very happy with. a 500w psu will give you enough power, just calculated a friends psu requirements for a new graphics card, around 375w with a q6600. also consider that a psu operating at 60% of its capacity will go for a lot longer.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Get a high quality psu, not some crappy generic one. Get one from one of the following brands, Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Pc Power & cooling, Seasonic, Enermax.