Asus P6T/Sunbeam Core Contact issue

samskeyti

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I recently put together a rig with an ASUS P6T motherboard and a Sunbeam Core Contact cooler. Due to the builds of the board and cooler, I could only fit it one way without bending things or cutting off motherboard heatsink fins.

The cooler is oriented in a way that air is moved from the bottom of the case to the top. The air that moves through the cooler comes from ~1.5" from the top of the video card. This doesn't seem ideal and I my i7 is running quite a few degrees above what I feel it should be at stock. I'm holding off overclocking until I can get the stock heat down more.

I have a Coolermaster 690 case and there is room for a fan to blow upward out of the case. I'm wondering what the best thing to do is. I could buy a fan and see if that helps, mutilate my motherboard so I can point the cooler to blow through and out the back of the case, or buy a different cooler that will mount easier and let me blow air out the back.

The first and last options are preferred, I really don't want to bend (resistors?) and I don't want to or have the tools to cut the heatsink fins. I'm curious if anyone else is using this combo and has come up with a good solution.

Thanks.

samskeyti

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I can get the mounting bracket on. The problem is I can't get the shorter clip to catch because the cooler hits the MB heatsink before the clip is low enough to catch on the mounting bracket.

samskeyti

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean turning the mounting bracket and orientating the cooler in another direction, then yes. I have it installed, but pointing up instead of out the back.

My worry is that it's drawing hot air off the video card.