I've a PC running Windows XP Pro but the IE just couldn't lanuch a tif file
from a browser application which previously able to. Hence, I would like to
reinstall the IE6.

Anyone know how to install back a clean IE again? I've tried to re-install
the XP SP2 again but it just don't solve the problem.

How to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 wrote:
> I've a PC running Windows XP Pro but the IE just couldn't lanuch a tif file
> from a browser application which previously able to. Hence, I would like to
> reinstall the IE6.
>
> Anyone know how to install back a clean IE again? I've tried to re-install
> the XP SP2 again but it just don't solve the problem.

A web browser wouldn't normally open tif files. They normally handle
jpeg (for photos) and gif (line art cartoons etc). You may have had some
sort of plugin that added tif capabilities above IE's normal
capabilities. Check to see if you were running any photo editing
applications like Microsoft Photo Editor, Corel Photo-Paint, or JASC
Paintshop that may have added to the browser's compatable file types.

Thanks Robert, but I can actually open a tif file from the browser by doing
"File->Open". The problem is that it was unable to lanuch a tif file
attachment from a browser application.

Any idea how to remove and add the plugin again? I guess the other solution
is to reinstall a clean IE but how to do that?

RobertVA wrote:

>>A web browser wouldn't normally open tif files. They normally handle
>>jpeg (for photos) and gif (line art cartoons etc). You may have had some
>>sort of plugin that added tif capabilities above IE's normal
>>capabilities. Check to see if you were running any photo editing
>>applications like Microsoft Photo Editor, Corel Photo-Paint, or JASC
>>Paintshop that may have added to the browser's compatable file types.

How to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 wrote:

> Thanks Robert, but I can actually open a tif file from the browser by doing
> "File->Open". The problem is that it was unable to lanuch a tif file
> attachment from a browser application.
>
> Any idea how to remove and add the plugin again? I guess the other solution
> is to reinstall a clean IE but how to do that?

I don't know what browser plugin or extension allowed you to open tif
files in IE, so I don't have a clue as to how to reinstall it or the URL
for a download to permit it.

I can "open" a tif file from IE's file menu BUT the image opens in my
graphics editor (Corel Photo-Paint) instead of an IE window.

The ONLY time I ever removed IE 6 from a computer was from a Windows 98
system. I recall that the process included Windows registry editing. I
am not certain the procedure would be safe on a more recent OS especialy
the Windows NT based Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The automated download
and install on Microsoft's site normally refuses to work if IE 6 is
already in place.

You might try using a System Restore point from the period before your
tif loading capability disapeared.

Thanks for your reply.

I do agree that it is diffcult or almost impossible to remove and install a
clean version of IE in WinXP. However, I may try to run "sfc /scannow" to
repair the IE but I think I will need to backup all the data first just in
case it corrupt the OS.

If anyone else know a better way, please share with us.