Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Greetings

A newly built system has the following components:

ASUS Rampage Extreme (X45 chipset)
Intel Q9550 2.83 GHZ (45 nm)
4GB OCZ Memory
Zalman CNPS 9700 LED cooler

Currently the system is 'bread boarded' and is sitting on top of the motherboad box. Using RealTemp, the core temperatures measurements at idle are 39, 40, 46 and 46 respectively. After 30 minutes of Prime95, the temperatures are 59, 53, 60 and 60. CoreTemp show during the same tests show 62, 58, 65 and 65. Currently the outside and inside temperatures are 95 F and 76 F respectively which imply that the temperatures of cores should be somewhat higher. However I was expecting much more of a better cooling performance from a 45 nm processor.

Has anyone installed this processor on this board? If so, can you kindly share your temperature readings?

Furthermore, would it be worth the trouble to uninstall the Zalman cooler and replace it with Xigmatek's HDT-S1283?

Thanks in advance.

Given a proper install with both coolers, the Zalman is 3-4C hotter than the Xig at load. Not huge.

Have a look at BIOS updates. It's possible you need one to run the Q9550 correctly. Check the BIOS settings to make sure you have correct voltage, FSB, multiplier.

What thermal paste did you use, and did you follow manufacturers instructions when applying it?

AC5 has a 200 hour break in period, during which temps will drop several degrees.

Also, 65C is considered a safe temp for the Q9550 cores. 70C is warm, 75C hot. I agree though they should be cooler.

svrz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hello Proximon

Thanks for the reply. I applied the liquid thermal solution that was included in Zalman's packaging and yes, I followed the instructions in applying the thermal solution which was to put a circular dab on the CPU and then spread it through out the surface.

Thanks for the BIOS suggestion as I will make an attempt to set the VID value to what CoreTemp displays.

Would it be appropriate to apply AC5 on S1283 or Zalman's cooler?

Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head I think the stuff you get with the Zalman is Ceramique, which does not have a cure time.

Yes AC5 can be used with either, but I would not think it worthwhile to just replace what you have. If you put too much on, however, that could be an issue.

If the room was hot, I would say the temps are OK. You really don't need to bring them down much.

svrz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hello Proximon

Well, I installed S1283 and I spread a small amount of AC5 on both the CPU and heat sink. I installed all the components in ThermalTake's Tsunami. This case has front, side and exhaust fans.

The idle temperatures hovered around 42, 47, 49 and 47. The Prime95 test took the temps to 60, 65, 65 and 64. As I stated in my original post, the ambient temperature in this environment is quite high due to the climate here in Phoenix.

Unfortunately such a cooling performance will prevent any attempt at overclocking.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards.

svrz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008

dan2343

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Same Processor...Overclocked to 3.2GHz. AVC Overclock Proof Heat Sink. Idle in the High 50's low 60's. Under load about 76C. What do I do. This is in an NZXT 921 case with 3 120mm fans. Also there is fresh Artic Silver on the processor. I know this is way too high.