Sign in with
Your question

stantard frame rates to play lagless pc game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2008 5:35:24 AM

what's the stantard or minimum fps to play a pc game without any lag???
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 6:10:24 AM

Totally subjective. I usually say 30FPS for RTS, 35-40FPS for a shooter. Others will want 60FPS for anything.
August 8, 2008 10:55:34 AM

20 FPS for MMO, 30FPS for shooter, 15FPS for RTS.
Related resources
August 8, 2008 11:47:31 AM

:D  Hi people, just wondering if some one could help me, i have a 8800gt graphics card in a quite new but not high end PC (specs below), and i have few games; Setters: Rise Of An Empire, and Bioshock, along with Crysis.

In Bioshock travelling forward or backwards the FPS is really smooth, but when turning around its like the frame rate drops quite a bit (judders) but according to Fraps its between 30-60, i've also tried it without fraps, and also when navigating around in Setters the screen judders alot.

Could this be to do with my PC i.e ram not enough, PSU, something else or just my graphics card not powerful enough.

I read on one website that using a wireless keyboard and mouse is a bad idea when navigating in a game because of the slow signal compared to a wired mouse and keyboard.

If someone could help i would be very grateful.

Regards,
Lee

System specification:

HP m9065 Elite PC
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Q6600 Quad Core CPU@2.4Ghz
3GB ram@666Mhz
Standard HP PSU (according to HP its about 350watts)
Nvidia 8800gt 600/1600/900
500GB Hard Drive
2x320 Personal Media Drive
Wireless keyboard & mouse
August 8, 2008 12:00:39 PM

How many amps on the 12V rail for that PSU. An 8800GT wants a combined 28A of continuous output on the 12V rail. I have a sparkle PSU that's only 350W but it has enough amperage on the 12V rail for 8800GT and I question an HP power supply because HP sucks. Not the keyboard or mouse. The judder is called micro-stuttering and there's nothing you can do about it besides upgrading your graphics on a machine fully optimized. You should also over clock your video card; an 8800GT usually over clocks to at least 675/1700/950. You won't be able to over clock your processor because it's an HP.
August 8, 2008 12:04:28 PM

I have overclocked it to 660/950 and it improves the FPS by about 5 but it does not help the juddering.

I was thinking about purchasing a 280GTX would this improve the graphics much i.e FPS and the juddering?

Regards
Lee
August 8, 2008 12:07:04 PM

You should wait for 4870X2 to come out and wait a week after that to see if the prices on GTX 280 come down some. The GTX 280 supposivly doesn't have micro-stutters. You're also looking at a dramatic PSU upgrade. BTW did you over clock the steam processors(pixel shaders)
August 8, 2008 12:09:05 PM

Sorry, but what is micro-stutters and will a more powerful card i.e 280GTX or 4870X2 stop it.
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 12:10:01 PM

Well Lee, when you start your own thread, I'm sure people will be happy to answer.

ykyagami, there's a hidden "gotcha" in the answer to your question. There are different kinds of lag. If you're playing an online game, net or server lag can occur, which is something you cannot control; a $5000 gaming PC will experience it just as much as that Compaq with integrated graphics. As such, if you are hoping to find out how to improve your PC to get into an acceptable range, there's very little we can suggest, none of it applicable to your PC, although maybe to your router and/or network.
If you're only concerned about games like Crysis, then yes, improving your graphics card (and maybe your PSU if necessary to power it) will make a difference.
Another kind of lag that can be introduced is heat-related. Components like your CPU and graphics card will slow themselves down to cool off if they are overheating. This can introduce lag, especially if it is your GPU that is hot. Better cooling should relieve it.
When all that's said and done, I don't think I'd complain if I were getting 30-40 FPS in my games. I can barely tolerate 21-22 in Guild Wars, a MMO, but that's about all my laptop will manage. Of course I much prefer to get 60 in any game.
August 8, 2008 12:13:59 PM

Actually, a GPU doesn't slow down. It has no throttling unlike a newer CPU with TM1 & 2. Don't believe me? Over volt your card and burn it up. Better yet remove the cooling altogether and watch it throttle into a molten finish.
August 8, 2008 12:25:31 PM

35-45 RTS/MMO , 60+ FPS , 45+ TPS
August 8, 2008 12:27:50 PM

30FPS is what I judge all my games.. As an avid console gamer, this is the FPS that 99% of most console games are running at.. So for me anything about 30fps is a bonus.. I would prefer all at 60fps, but 30+ is pure gaming goodness...
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 12:55:59 PM

It's subjective.
30fps is what you need for really smooth gameplay. But, since during gameplay your fps will vary a lot, depending on what you are doing and how much action is going on in the sceen you moving through. If you are averaging 30fps, that means at times you could drop to 15, which is going to be choppy, and then you may jump to 45 which is plenty smooth.
A lot of people say 60 as an average because if you are averaging 60, you may at times drop to 25 or 30, and then jump to 90. Averaging 60 usually means that even during heavy action, your drop is not enough to cause the stuttering or choppiness, or at least very minimal.
If you are getting some stuttering, it could be a caused by a lot of different things. The GPU, system RAM, CPU, speed of your Hard Drive, internet connection, other things going on inside your OS, and the game itself all have varied impacts of some kind. The key is isolate the cause for your circumstances, which can be tricky.
August 8, 2008 1:49:04 PM

I think the thread creator is referring to the "delay" caused when something in the game needs to be accessed.

Sadly, those are near impossible even on the highest spec PC, just minimized.

It's primarily because most, if not all PC games do not preload all it's needed data in a game, but the game keeps track of that information. So when the need arises to load it (By usually seeing it in-game.) it will load it on the fly, causing the stuttering, which if you notice if you find a similar object (Or enemy) it will not stutter anymore.

This is most obvious in MMORPGs in boss monsters or while teleporting into a town, since the object(s) suddenly appeares, it will cause a "lag" making everything pause for a spilit second. Unless maybe the game was loaded in RAM using a Virtual Disk. :p 
!