E8500 Temperatures: Which program should i believe ? (see screenshot)

king_alcohol

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
I just built a new pc with a C2D E8500, P5Q-E motherboard and the power suply is a Corsair 750W (this might matter when it comes to temperatures). The case is a coolermaster CM690, 7 fans in it, 3 exausting and 4 intaking, so it has a good air flow, and stock processor cooler.

Anyways, when i fisrt installed the temps were very high at idle, like CPU was 47C and both cores were idling at 50C/55C (this in everest and speedfan, but in Real Temp they were around 49C/50C). When i ran IntelBurnTest, in 30 secondsthe CPU got 105C :eek: :eek: , so i closed it right away. But i found what the problem was, too few thermal paste (arctic silver 5), there was gaps between the heatsink and the processor so i just put more paste and worked like a charm, now temps idles as the screenshot shows, and with IntelBurnTest (with 10 tests) running at maximum the CPU temps wont get past 74C/75C, and both Core temps are even lower.

But anyways, which of those 3 programs should i trust ? (mainly for the core temps, which they show a big diference, as Real Temp does not show CPU temp)

In the bios the CPU temp is pretty high, varies between 48,5C/49C (before i fixed the thermal paste issue, the CPU temp in the bios was 72C then it would become hotter and hotter till stop like 80C :eek: ). Although i read the CPU temp in the bios is pretty high, so its kinda normal ??

Also my room should be at 25C to 27C, but normally is hotter in here, soon it should be 35C ambient temp, so i expect all those computer temps to raise a little bit soon.

Info / tips aprecciated, thanks a lot guys

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Lots of people side with speed fan. In a warm room like you have the CPU temps are not that bad. It looks like your CPU HSF is running slower than it should. I would set the HSF speed higher in bios.
I also suggest you go to the Arctic silver web site and look at how they say to put on the paste.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Personally I go by the tcase temp, which would be the CPU temp, and what the bios shows as a CPU temp.

If your using the stock HSF, that would be the main problem that I see.

The core temps are not to be trusted at idle. Even realtemp states that when you test the sensors:

rtemp.jpg

I would recommend MX-2 over AS5. No cure time, just put a dab in the center and spread it out even over the CPU with your finger in a plastic bag, or credit card. MX-2 does great on my Q6600 setup.

As far as the stock HS, you need to be sure the white clamps are totally through the holes before you push the black pins through it. Also when you take the stock HSF off, be sure to twist the handles opposite of the arrows fully. And if you have one pin thats hardest to push down, start over and push that one down first while placing enough pressure on the fan to keep the HS flush with the CPU.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, as always, if you need to start over, be sure to clean the thermal grease off with rubbing alcohol.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Umm.. the software is only going to be so accurate to the user that understand how it works.

I can tell you RealTemp is not accurate with my Q6600, since it's readings are lower then my Tcase.

king_alcohol

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks everyone

Yea, when i first opened everest i thought the cpu cooler was too slow, but its actually the power saving stuff, when i run the stress test it hits 1900 to 2000 rpm. I also checked Arctic Silver's website in the second time i was going to put paste in it. Besides that i had put too few paste, one thing that i didnt do is move the heatsink in circles under the cpu so it wont form bubles between them, i couldnt turn it too much to, the heatsink pins wont let.

haha, i had some trouble fixing the HS, the first time i fixed it totally wrong. When i had to mount it again after i put more thermal paste, i check the cpu manual again, and followed as it indicates. It is fixed, but i still dont know if all pins perfectly locked. I did push it down very hard, but as i hasnt removed the board from the case, i was afraid to break it or something . I also used the finger with plastic bag method to spread the paste

I think i'll order a CPU cooler then, and wont be messing with this stock heatsink until the new one arrives. I was thinking in a Thermaltake MaxOrb or a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, are they ok ?? Or is there any other better for a reasonable price ?

I'll see if i can find some MX-2 paste, dont know if i can find it here in Brazil. If Ebay has it, i can get from there.

Also, today here the ambient temp is a little bit hotter (but still not the usual 35C that can hit in here), CPU is idling at 44C right now, i decided to run InterBurnTest again, 5 passes, i took a SS when it got the maximum temperature, no temps got past the ones from the SS:

Thanks

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Grimmy,

Besides having Tjunction Max calibrations for each Core, Real Temp also has an Idle calibration feature.
No other utility has it. Have you tried it?

It works, and will correct Tjunction Idle so that it's higher than Tcase Idle, just as it should be.

king_alcohol,

SpeedFan's CPU temperature (Tcase) and Core temperatures (Tjunction) can both be calibrated.

Use my Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Comp :sol: