Sign in with
Your question

Case fans with heatsinks attached

Last response: in Overclocking
August 11, 2009 7:06:30 PM

hey just wondering how would a fan with heat sink attached to it do? would it cool the air more as it gets inside the case? kinda thinking of like a tunnel and have 3 fans inside with 3 heat sinks. be something like this, 0 = fans, * = heat sink

im thinking of this

0*0*0* or 0*0*0

what you think?
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2009 9:47:49 PM

Very interesting idea...it probably wont help much unless your room temperature is high...but the only real way to find out is to try...experiment if you can and then post up the results you get...
August 11, 2009 10:12:09 PM

yeah ill give it a try because i mean when air passes thru the heatsink it should cool i think lol. Ill give it a shot.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2009 10:24:06 PM

No.... sorry to shoot down ur idea, but it wont work.

The heatsinks wont cool it below ambient. So it wouldnt work any better than haveing fans in your case.
August 11, 2009 10:49:34 PM

ight good to know now i dont have to try it
August 11, 2009 10:52:56 PM

+1 overshocked has it right. Heatsinks only transfer the heat from the original source allowing the cooler ambient air and your fans to remove that heat from the case. They are not air conditioners. But part of your idea DOES work. The tunnel idea works very well if you have a case with a vented side and fan you can use this to build a wind tunnel of cool room temp air to your stock or other small hsf combo. This can produce some amazing results if your room temp is kept in the 65f - 75f range.
August 11, 2009 10:52:58 PM

A heat sink kinda works the other way, taking heat from something and passing it to the air passing over/through it. +1 Overshocked. The air will be just slightly warmer from having passed over the fan motors so ther'll be no help there.

That said, cooling the charge going into the system isn't a bad idea. A cooler environment will improve the cooling of the chipset, CPU and GPU. The problem is HOW?

Maybe some peltier arrangement with the pelt sucking heat from the "heatsink". You'd need to get rid of that heat somewhere too so you're probably looking at another heatsink on the other side of the peltier and a fan pushing air over that too.

No, I really think that phase-change or water cooling is your best bet if the ambient temperature is high.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 12:18:58 AM

overshocked said:

The heatsinks wont cool it below ambient. So it wouldnt work any better than haveing fans in your case.

Correct. Only way to go below ambient is with things like TEC, LN2, phase change,etc.
August 12, 2009 1:02:00 AM

nah my temps are all fine i was just thinking of that so i decide to post it up and see what everyone else thought. Thanks and i see now what u mean.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 1:04:23 AM

Exactly what I thought...only I thought that the heatsinks stay a few degrees lower than ambient so If it was hot in the room it could lower the temps down a couple degrees for the first few minutes of operation...but I doubted all that...
August 12, 2009 1:11:29 AM

what if there was an ice tray in front. wouldint the ice make the air colder as the fan sucks it in? But then again when it melts ud be left with water and thats not good.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 1:14:40 AM

Use dry ice!
August 12, 2009 1:16:11 AM

belial2k said:
The tunnel idea works very well if you have a case with a vented side and fan you can use this to build a wind tunnel of cool room temp air to your stock or other small hsf combo. This can produce some amazing results if your room temp is kept in the 65f - 75f range.

Basically turn an ATX case into a BTX case. :D 
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 1:27:44 AM

Maybe...but too much work...
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 2:05:07 AM

overshocked said:

LoL +1......

Bad idea..... heatsinks won't achieve a better temp than ambient so in all they do not produce cold air...... :non: 

a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 2:09:25 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Correct. Only way to go below ambient is with things like TEC, LN2, phase change,etc.

Why do you want your old rankings back? Do the rankings give you something to brag about? I could care less how many points I get, the post's and positive feedback is what should be priority.... Just curious..... [:jaydeejohn:5]
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 3:10:51 AM

^Nope. I probably should take it off now as it has been fixed. But I need to get my new sig ready first :p 
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 3:19:16 AM

Hehe, yea I figured.. Anyways you have a boatload of post's and that is what count's..... I learn a lot from you...
a c 86 K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 4:40:11 AM

OvrClkr said:
Hehe, yea I figured.. Anyways you have a boatload of post's and that is what count's..... I learn a lot from you...

This post alone is worth more than any, any silly name or post count, arbirtary title etc. This is what's it all about.

Helping peeps and just making a community.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 4:43:38 AM

Conumdrum said:
This post alone is worth more than any, any silly name or post count, arbirtary title etc. This is what's it all about.

Helping peeps and just making a community.

Thx man, I love reading your post's as well...... [:jaydeejohn:5]
August 12, 2009 5:13:21 AM

i love how everyone just got into their own topic but thats cool i dont mind. but how would that radiator shyt work just a small version?
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 5:52:48 AM

hehe.......

Anyways, try your new idea out and see what happens.......who knows......
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 6:01:14 AM

^exactly what I'm thinking...lol...
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 6:10:14 AM

huntsman said:
what bout something like this but a small version of it, that should work right?

http://www.gmilburn.ca/2005/06/15/petes-homemade-air-co...

Huntsman, its called a slush box , and if you know what your doing you could get negative temps for about $75.

I am totally willing to help you if you want to achieve these temps.

Its a version of a phase change that is LOADS easier and very cheap. its just difficult to insulate the tubing at those temps.

August 12, 2009 2:46:17 PM

err I can see this working if it was like this

0 = fan

* = heat sink

C = cpu

| and _ and - is the case

|-------------------------------------|
|0*0*0*0*C*0*0*0*0*0*0*0|
|<---<---<---Airflow<---<---<---|

and this thing is a huge wind tunnel of doom with a tower CPU cooler, and the fans would be big and quiet! and obviously use as many fans and heat sinks it takes to go from one end of the case to the other
August 12, 2009 3:55:16 PM

now that would be a lot of work and alot of money for quiet fans, i think. But i would try the slush box, but a radiator looking one sure seems like a good idea just not sure where i would keep the box and pump would it be inside the case or outside ?
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 4:19:11 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Nope. I probably should take it off now as it has been fixed. But I need to get my new sig ready first :p 

My main every day use rig. Will add gaming rig too.
August 12, 2009 6:08:18 PM

also instead of ice water what bout refrigerant or the thing air conditioner use?
August 12, 2009 6:56:24 PM

now the pipes would have to me soldered to the heat sink right ? or can the heat sink be mounted and then run the pipes through it? Because i think it be easier to cut the holes out and just make a heat sink and then put pipes in it and just connect them all instead of soldering the pipe to each fin.

and how loud would the pump be?

August 12, 2009 6:59:14 PM

it would be infront of my case as i took the grill off because it makes it alot louder with them on. So i got room in front and i would put the heat sink there so when the fan sucks in it goes tthru that heatsink first and then cold air into the inside of the case.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 7:45:52 PM

^Oil/transmission cooler.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2009 7:54:00 PM

A slush box uses a refridegerant to cool a liquid to well below zero.

I know how to make a real cheap one. But you will still need a pump and tubeing etc.

And when you deal with refridgetrants yopu cant just "solder" stuff together, you have to braze it. Braze will hold LOADS more pressure.

It is super simple to make a slush box.

The cheap way to do it is:

Buy an a/c unit from craigs list for $50 then take off the top of it and bend the evaporator so it will fit in a cooler. Put it in the cooler then fill the cooler up with an anti-freeze (or something witha low freezing point). THen put the pump in the cooler with the super cooled liquid and watchj your temps drop.

You usually DONT need a radiator for this kind of cooling.
August 13, 2009 7:42:52 PM

how do you make a heat sink? i was thinking of buying a block and cuting into it.
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2009 8:11:40 PM

you need to have heatpipes for a good heatsink.
August 13, 2009 11:11:30 PM

i mean like a radiator looking thing. With pipes going thru it to cool it off, But how would you make it? If it was up to u i wanna make something like in the drawing i made so how would you do that ?
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2009 11:34:51 PM

Believe it or not i am working on somthing like this right now.

A couple of the guys on toms are awaiting its arival. I am using the evaporator from an ac unit. it pretty much looks like a car grill with 20 pipes going through it. It is the exact same thing you drew in that drawing.

Here are my designs....

This is a picture of what the whole thing looks like, the liquid in it will be freon that is under pressure so i can raise the boiling point to 30c.

each heatpipe would be about a foot long so they can be attached to the grill.

The copper block would be made out of copper end caps. If you have never seeen them they look like this, and are about 2 inches around.

Here is my design for the block...

a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2009 11:37:07 PM

I was going to have a TEC cooler between the cpu and the copper block so i can possibly reach negative temperatures on only an air cooler.

Please excuse my paint skills ^^ im not very good.

a b K Overclocking
August 14, 2009 1:06:12 AM

Nice. ^Post it on a thread.
August 14, 2009 1:09:44 AM

dont worry bout the paint skill but ur doing it for a cpu while i just want to do it in front of the fans, ima put more thought into it and see what i come up with. and looking forward to seeing how urs works out. When you done put up some pics.
a b K Overclocking
August 14, 2009 1:21:08 AM

Dude.... im telling you. your not gunna get below ambient temps with just heatsinks and fans. I would make a sluch boce or the thing im making.
!