Case fans with heatsinks attached

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey just wondering how would a fan with heat sink attached to it do? would it cool the air more as it gets inside the case? kinda thinking of like a tunnel and have 3 fans inside with 3 heat sinks. be something like this, 0 = fans, * = heat sink

im thinking of this

0*0*0* or 0*0*0

what you think?

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Very interesting idea...it probably wont help much unless your room temperature is high...but the only real way to find out is to try...experiment if you can and then post up the results you get...

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
+1 overshocked has it right. Heatsinks only transfer the heat from the original source allowing the cooler ambient air and your fans to remove that heat from the case. They are not air conditioners. But part of your idea DOES work. The tunnel idea works very well if you have a case with a vented side and fan you can use this to build a wind tunnel of cool room temp air to your stock or other small hsf combo. This can produce some amazing results if your room temp is kept in the 65f - 75f range.

purist

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
A heat sink kinda works the other way, taking heat from something and passing it to the air passing over/through it. +1 Overshocked. The air will be just slightly warmer from having passed over the fan motors so ther'll be no help there.

That said, cooling the charge going into the system isn't a bad idea. A cooler environment will improve the cooling of the chipset, CPU and GPU. The problem is HOW?

Maybe some peltier arrangement with the pelt sucking heat from the "heatsink". You'd need to get rid of that heat somewhere too so you're probably looking at another heatsink on the other side of the peltier and a fan pushing air over that too.

No, I really think that phase-change or water cooling is your best bet if the ambient temperature is high.

Correct. Only way to go below ambient is with things like TEC, LN2, phase change,etc.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
nah my temps are all fine i was just thinking of that so i decide to post it up and see what everyone else thought. Thanks and i see now what u mean.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Exactly what I thought...only I thought that the heatsinks stay a few degrees lower than ambient so If it was hot in the room it could lower the temps down a couple degrees for the first few minutes of operation...but I doubted all that...

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
what if there was an ice tray in front. wouldint the ice make the air colder as the fan sucks it in? But then again when it melts ud be left with water and thats not good.

Basically turn an ATX case into a BTX case. :D

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
what bout something like this but a small version of it, that should work right?

http://www.gmilburn.ca/2005/06/15/petes-homemade-air-conditioner/

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
http://www.gmilburn.ca/2005/06/15/the-black-beauty/ or this but use a heatsink and copper pipes goin through it and a small cartridge with ice water and a tiny pump to move the watever through the pipes.

LoL +1......

Bad idea..... heatsinks won't achieve a better temp than ambient so in all they do not produce cold air...... :non:

Why do you want your old rankings back? Do the rankings give you something to brag about? I could care less how many points I get, the post's and positive feedback is what should be priority.... Just curious..... [:jaydeejohn:5]

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

This post alone is worth more than any, any silly name or post count, arbirtary title etc. This is what's it all about.

Helping peeps and just making a community.

Thx man, I love reading your post's as well...... [:jaydeejohn:5]