Sign in with
Your question

Slow computer after mobo upgrading

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2009 11:47:57 AM

I have upgraded my dads computer by bying a new mobo and put in my old CPU and memory. But I seems now after all my trying to speedup, his system stays very slow if I compare this to my old system (the same CPU and RAM).
HD en DVD are from his old mobo and are both IDE133, IDE flat cable with blue/grey and black connector seems to be IDE133. I have connected the end of the cable to HD (Master selected) and the middle connector to the DVD (slave). If I connect the middel to the HD and the cables end to the DVD, the PC speed becomes even slower and the HD is making a constant "pieeeep" sound if it needed some oil.

HD was complete formated, XP is cleaned/tweaked as writen down by Blackviper.com
Mobo is a MSI KA790Gx see the link above
CPU AMD 64 X2 4200+ AM2socket
4 DDR2 RAM's 1Gb each
OS XP-sp3
No virusscan is installed
HD is tested by different software and no failures are detected.
Maxtor 6y160p0 152Gb
NEC DVD-RW ND-3540a

I think there is a problem with the HD/DVD conected to one cable, because if the HD is 100% used it makes a "piep" sound, but on the outher hand If I disconnect the DVD there no effect on the speed. Will cable select HD/DVD be the sollution inhere?

November 30, 2009 5:23:39 AM

No reply wrong forum I think!!!!! Any suggestions were to publish this?
November 30, 2009 1:39:04 PM

Hello,

As long as you have the jumpers set properly then it shouldn't matter what position on the cable they are. You could try to set both the dvd and hdd to cs or cable select mode and see if that helps. If you have a different IDE cable that would be another thing to try. Also, make sure that if they are plugged into some sort of IDE raid then the drivers should be installed, but I don't think that is the case. Last thing is to purchase a new hard drive. They are cheap and it might be a good time to upgrade to SATA. The rest of your components look good so there shouldn't be anything slowing down your computer.
!