Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 5:39:55 PM

Hi guys!
During some benchmarks that I did to test the power of my new GPU (ATI 4870) I found an interesting result when running the Crysis benchmark:

The native resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024. This were the tests:

Test 1:
DX10 1280x1024 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 22.285

Test 2:
DX10 1280x1024 AA=8x, 64 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh ~~ Overall Average FPS: 20

Test 3:
DX10 1280x1024 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 33.34

Test 4:
DX10 1280x1024 AA=8x, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 31.45

I do not think that enabling 8xAA can have such a minor impact over the performance of the card. Is this a CPU bottleneck?My Q6600 is at stock speed and I want to be sure that my GPU is hold back by the CPU before I overclock to at least 3 GHz.

More about : cpu bottleneck

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 5:44:52 PM

no i dont think the Q6600 is a bottleneck. Any other games or benchmarks?
EDIT: crysis has never been too friendly to ATI cards
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 5:51:31 PM

Any other game I ran (UT3, Devil May Cry 4) is running at over 80 fps on average with all the settings to the maximum.
I maxed out all the settings in CCC, but I am feeling that what Crysis is showing me is a CPU bottleneck because I saw different benchmarks on the net with configurations just as mine but scoring at least 40 fps with all HIGH in Crysis. I know that this game is nVidia biased, but that doesn't explain why people with the same card but an E8400 (stock) can play at over 40 fps all high.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 6:00:15 PM

^I understand that but that doesn't explain the low fps I get at this resolution. Even if I disable all quality setting in CCC, I get only a 3-4 fps increase. I know many of you would disagree but I like Crysis, but for me 30 fps is not playable.
a c 131 U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 6:26:18 PM

I totaly agree with strangestranger, Your benchmarking shows a Graphics card limitation and not a CPU limitation. The fact that you are loosing FPS with increased AA or Quality shows that as i think you know.
You need to drop some graphical settings if you want it to run faster.

Mactronix
August 8, 2008 6:42:24 PM

8x AA in Crysis inherently seems to give a minimal performance hit for a good number of people. My system (Q6600 stock, 2GB 667, 8800GTS 640 stock) doesn't like running Crysis maxed at 1440x900 with even 2x AA. 4x is obviously even slower (we're talking maybe 15-18fps). But with 8x on, I get at the most a 2-3fps drop, which means it's still happily within the 30-40 range.

I've heard that that was an oddity with the engine that occurred with only certain 8800 chips, but perhaps it works for the new ATI cards too?
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2008 6:52:08 PM

DX10 800x600 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: Low ~~ Overall Average FPS: 63.555
August 18, 2008 2:19:27 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
...I am feeling that what Crysis is showing me is a CPU bottleneck because I saw different benchmarks on the net with configurations just as mine but scoring at least 40 fps with all HIGH in Crysis. I know that this game is nVidia biased, but that doesn't explain why people with the same card but an E8400 (stock) can play at over 40 fps all high.

You should know that benchmarks on the net are bare windows installations + drivers, there is nothing interfering with the game. You use the computer, have installed lot of programs, those programs puts lot of garbage on register and ram.
Nvidia, ati drivers, powerdvd etc. loads cr@p on ram, example: brs.exe dualcorecenter.exe daemon.exe LMonitor.exe magicdisk.exe ntuneservice.exe nvsvc32.exe PDVDServ.exe RichVideo.exe rpcagentsrv.exe unsecapp.exe
etc.

Even tuned maybe isn't the same.

You have programs loaded:
torrent, emule, antivirus, antispyware, everything relationed with norton utilities, fraps, etc.

In the benchmarks they choose the best of the best of everything, maybe you lack something, faster ram with tight timings, raid 0 4x velociraptor, faster quad core, I don't know, anything.

Maybe the configuration of the game is not exactly the same, maybe you have some graphical mods, or maybe you tuned the ##gamenameconfigfile.ini## file.
I can't believe you haven't tune crysis, everybody tunes the .ini file, to make the game look gourgeous.
Even I with a shameful 8600gt had crysis tuned for quality.
I uninstalled crysis long ago, I don't remember the speed I had, but think it was SLOOOW.(but looked gourgeous! XD )
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2008 3:28:57 AM

q6600 is probably a slight bottleneck at stock. my 2 gtx260 get a decent boost when my q6600 is @ 3.2ghz.
i would say oc it to 2.8ghz+ if u can.
BTW nvidia cards run much better then ati cards while running crysis. crysis is much more optimized for nvidia cards.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2008 6:23:26 AM

I will try to see what I can do about the OC or maybe I will wait for the new Crysis : Warhead. Meanwhile I will play other games at super high settings. :sol: