Phenom II X3 720 BE

VinnyChase

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
My goal is to achieve an overclock that allows a very stable system and doesn't (or minimally) compromise the life of the CPU. I'd ideally like to get 5 years out of it. Is this realistic? Would it still be a good idea to get an aftermarket cooler? Basically, would an AMC extend the life of the CPU at a 10% overclock, which some say the stock cooler is fine?

Overall, I'm trying to find out what percentage of overclock, using adequate cooling of course, allows me to keep my CPU for many years.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231200
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I would always recommend an after market cooler. This CPU is at 2.8Ghz at default settings, so overclocking it to 3.0Ghz or 3.2Ghz wouldn't strain it much and would give you a nice enough boost...

The stock cooler is fine for up to 3.3Ghz.....

The question is, will you be @ 3.3Ghz till you decide to get another chip? The answer is no since you will at least be able to push about 3.6 / 3.7Ghz with an aftermarket cooler... So in all it is always a must to buy an aftermarket cooler because it will keep yor CPU at lower than average temps and that normally means a longer life span........

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
A 10% OC for me could barely affect the longevity of your chip, and the after-market cooler would be a very good investment and safety; 4~5 years is possible.

Of course the question really is if your motherboard would last the 5 years, rather than the processor. AMD and intel's chips could last 10 years or more, but usually it's another part of the computer that'll give way. (I have a Pentium MMX and Pentium 4 (Socket 478), I would have used them up to today if just their respective mobo were working and if they weren't too damn slow).

Also I think after 3~4 years you'd start to complain of the speed. I have a P4 with Hyper-Threading and two years ago it was quite quick, now it can have a hard time even with just facebook apps.

challengepower5287

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I have the same processor coming in the mail, and had very similar goals, and questions.

Without sacrificing the integrity of the components involved, what is a recommended overclock method to get this CPU to 3.0-3.2?

Well if you are using the stock cooler, it is not recommended to push the CPU too far since you will see that the CPU temps will start to increase.... With an aftermarket cooler and your CPU @ 3.3Ghz you should have normal temps.... I use a Freezer 64 Pro and my temps never reach 52c @ 3.8Ghz, but this is due to the fact that my case has very good airflow...So as long as you monitor your temps and make sure they do not exceed 59-60c you should be fine.....

As far as tweaking the memory, you might see a performance gain but not anything to get exited about... i normally just raise the fsb a tad and maybe get a 3 to 4% performance gain, but that's about it... nothing major....

chieftain20

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
With my original stock cooler, I was able to run 3.2GHz stable all day and night with out temps even approaching 44c. Now I run it at 3.4GHz with a Sunbeam CR-CCTF and core temps are always at room temp 22c and full load 30c. Cpu temps are 32c idle and about 40c full load. I have the HAF 932 case with fans on low so it runs silent. But I'm satisfied with how low my temps are. Just not satisfied because one of my ram slots are covered up DX.