Missing sound device driver for windows xp

wattnthewhirled

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hello,
my sound driver went missing for some reason and i can't get it back. it is GONE. not in device manager or anywhere. gone. i can only hear sound through windows media player. i can't hear sound for internet videos or the likes. just turned on computer one day and it was gone. where and how do i get it back? Even if i go to all programs/accessories/entertainment......there is and empty file.

wattnthewhirled

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks Tom. I did all of the steps you posted, but when I got into my registry editor, the "wavemapper" was already there. Thus, it did not work. Maybe I just need a new sound card? I don't understand why I can use MediaPlayer, but sound from the internet, i.e. youtube, videos, advertisements, facebook sounds, email sounds, etc. won't play. This tells me it's not my speakers. I did get my sound device back, and it still isn't working.

Thanks,
Tammy

jamesa3131

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

You could try typing Realtek.com in your search engine. when you get to this site try downloading and installing Realtek AC97 Driver its an audio driver and it might solve your problem. jamesa3131

jamesa3131

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

you can also try this. open control panel. double click on Administrive Tools. click on device Manager. at the top of the page click on view. click on show hidden devices. this may show drivers that you cant normally see. display devices or drivers. try to update the display driver. jamesa3131.