Atlas445

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I've recently built a PC and didn't realize that the WMP54G Wireless PCI Adapter by Linksys is not compatible with Windows Home Premium 64-bit OS. Linksys hasn't produced a driver that addresses this issue, which was confirmed by their tech support after a lengthy conversation I had with them about the issue. When I google the issue there is a generic work around that involves downloading a particular driver from the chipset manufacturer (Ralink). After attempting this work around myself I find that I'm stumped. The work around involves the use of a "Network Controller" in Device Manager, but when I open Device Manager there is no "Network Controller". It has "Network Adapters" which I tried using for the driver update by selecting the Linksys adapter and trying to install the Ralink driver on that, but it doesn't work... Any suggestions?

Atlas445

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
You know what the saddest part of this whole thing is. I'm using the internet with the PC I built right now to post this very message, and how? Out of curiosity I glanced over at my ORIGINAL XBOX wireless receiver (which is now feeding internet to my Xbox 360) and thought hmmm... I plug it in to my PC and as if some sort of magic had just happened my PC finds an internet connection through the LAN port and presto - internet access (and fast access too). A 3 year old model of wireless card from Linksys bested by a nearly decade old wireless receiver from Microsoft built for a console... sad is the only way you can accurately describe this...