Master Boot Record What do I do?

G

Hello, following is the explanation of my problem.

I have a DELL Dimension E520, Windows XP Media Edition, SP3.

Recently after moving to another location, I set it up and it worked for couple days, then I got the blue screen saying:
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
STOP 0X0... (0, 0, 0 and something)

I have spent a lot of time investigating what it could be; after many definitions of what could happen I have this scenario:

It could be the RAM memory; to confirm, swap the sticks. It is not useful to do that because the blue screen does not happen constantly, I can reproduce the circumstances under which it fails.

It could the a Virus. Discarded because I got an AV that reviews the MBR, it is could "MBR" and it does not detect anything. I am inclined to agree with this.

It could be the hard drive. I think this is possible, so I could choose from a range of options to fix the MBR, then the boot sector, or the other way around, but I am not sure if it is going to work or will it spoil the partition table, etc.

Lastly, it could be the motherboard. If it is, then I do not think it would be to worthy to but another motherboard and processor but rather buy another PC.

The predicament is that I do not know what route to take, if I fix the MBR and I have to reinstall, fine, but I do not know if in the future, if it is the motherboard I am going to have more problems.

Could you please help me review these options and recommend the best solution?

Thank you very much in advance.
Martin

Moving it could have been the cause so it might be worth going into the box to make sure everything is in place and tight.

Use your XP MCE CDs to go to the first Repair option and run Checkdisk to find and fix disk errors. The syntax for that is chkdsk /r. When that five stage process finishes type fixmbr and press Enter. Accept the warning and when it completes, type fixboot, press Enter then type ecit and the system wil restart.