Error checking a new HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows Vista
  • HD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2009 4:18:21 PM

i bought a new samsung external 1.5tb hd, story station. It was reviewed pretty good so figured id give it a shot.

This is using windows XP (hate vista and havent looked at 7 yet)

Anyway i did a full reformat on it over to NTSF, it was fat 32 for some reason

Afterwards, i figured i better scan the HD to make sure it isn't bad before i start using it. I just used the windows error checking utility, the one under properties>tools>error checking. a couple of questions

1) doesnt a full reformat (right clicking selecting format, not quick format) already do a thorough error checking? or no? I realized that after i clicked it lol, i think i may have wasted my time with the error checking

2) with the error checking i had 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' tab checked because i thought that was the more thorough. But then i got to thinking, does this just auto fix errors? i wanted to know if there were any. If it completed this and just gave the message 'scan complete' does that mean the HD is ok?

3)follow up to the previous question, should i be satisfied with just this, or is there a better utitlity out there to make sure a HD is good?

More about : error checking

a b G Storage
November 29, 2009 4:46:55 PM

1) yes, you wasted your time with the second scan ;) 
2) yes, if it didn't report any errors
3) HD Tune is more suited for checking your hard disk as it performs low-level tests on the entire surface. You can also check the SMART parameters and temperature.
If this is all ok then you have a healthy hard disk
m
l
November 29, 2009 5:14:43 PM

hah, damn that second scan took forever too

Want some clarification ont his part since its important: so if it just said 'scan complete' i shouldn't worry that it just 'fixed' any problems by covering them up then? I was expecting an error log at the end but didn't get anything. i wanted to make sure i didn't just put a band aid on a bad sector

is this the HD tune program your talking about?
http://www.hdtune.com/

if so should i just click the error scan tab and click start for a thorough scan? I want to make sure i get the entire surface scan

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 29, 2009 9:28:59 PM

kenshindono said:

Want some clarification ont his part since its important: so if it just said 'scan complete' i shouldn't worry that it just 'fixed' any problems by covering them up then? I was expecting an error log at the end but didn't get anything. i wanted to make sure i didn't just put a band aid on a bad sector

I'm running Vista and can't remember if there's a difference with XP when it comes to error checking but Vista specifically says 'no problems found' after a successful scan and also has a 'details' button which shows a detailed log.

if so should i just click the error scan tab and click start for a thorough scan? I want to make sure i get the entire surface scan said:

if so should i just click the error scan tab and click start for a thorough scan? I want to make sure i get the entire surface scan

Yes, this is the program.
To scan the entire surface just press the start button in the Error Scan function. But if you want to know if your hard disk has bad sectors you can also check the SMART parameters in the Health tab. If the data field of the 'reallocated sector count' is 0 then there are no damaged sectors.
m
l
November 30, 2009 12:45:08 AM

If you haven't written anything to the disk, there's nothing to detect!! Why are you so anal about a new hard drive with a warranty, hopefully you are using some type of backup software just in case of failure...
m
l
November 30, 2009 4:46:46 AM

set error scan going earlier today been runnin it for a while. The health tab is totally blank, therse no damaged sectors... i think that just means theres no SMART sensor on the HD right? its an external

im anal because im going to use it to store a crap ton of movies and stuff and want to make sure its fine before i put all the stuff on it, its not a backup.

what do you mean theres nothing to detect? i thought this scan checked the surface for errors if it was a bad disk?

i.e. i had one before that right outa the box made a weird loud clicking noise
m
l
!