Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz ---(need help)---

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 13, 2009 3:48:37 AM

AI Overclocker Tuner: [Manual]
CPU Ratio: [20]
Speed-step: [disabled]
BLCK Frequency: [200]
PCIE Frequency: [100]
DRAM Frequency: [DDR3-1603 MHz]
UCLK Frequency: [3208]
QPI Link Data Rate: [7218]

DRAM Settings:
7-7-7-24 timings 1.64v

Voltages:
Vcore [1.275]
CPU PLL Voltage: [1.88]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: [1.275]
DRAM BUS [1.64]

Rest on auto

CIE Support: [Dissabled]
Load-Line Calibration: [Auto]
CPU Differential Amplitude: [Auto]
CPU Clock Skew: [Auto]
CPU Spread Specrum: [Disabled]
IOH Clock Skew: [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum: [Dissabled]
Hyperthreading: [Dissabled]-no performance gain in games as of yet. + it adds 5-10c more...

well with these settings I get 74c MAX prime95/OCCT small ftts stable. thing is i keep getting random BSOD when just surfing the web, I can game ALL day/night, but i will blue screen randomly when not doing much, Please help if you could
-Thanks

More about : 920 ghz

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2009 5:59:36 AM

Dude KICKass!!!

Seriusly. 1.175 vcore and 3.66 ghz! push it further man!

If i had that system it would go right into dry ice!
August 13, 2009 6:04:44 AM

overshocked said:
Dude KICKass!!!

Seriusly. 1.175 vcore and 3.66 ghz! push it further man!

If i had that system it would go right into dry ice!



Hehe im glad to here that but, i want to keep this beasty cool, would going up to lets say 3.8- 4 GHz have any effect of cpu life? haha my pc makes my room hot bad mostly b/c of the GFX card pumping out more hot air then a hairdryer lolz...



EDIT: BTW I learned ALOT from reading you're i7 Guide. :D 
Related resources
August 13, 2009 3:28:32 PM

I've seen people with 1.25vcore and hitting 4GHz if thats what you are aiming for. Good job man. I bet that RAM is helping a lot too because those are perfect settings.
August 13, 2009 4:45:33 PM

Go for 4GHz! I have basically the same core system, got 4GHz on 1.23Vcore, you might be able to get it slightly lower though. Not that it matters, but it will bring your RAM up to a nice pretty 1600.

I wouldn't be worried about shortening the life, as long as you keep the temperatures in check.
August 13, 2009 4:53:40 PM

Kill@dor said:
I've seen people with 1.25vcore and hitting 4GHz if thats what you are aiming for. Good job man. I bet that RAM is helping a lot too because those are perfect settings.



Thanks, I'm messing around with 4GHz settings atm, I also got 3.66 GHz to run stable at 1.165 vcore last night [:lectrocrew:6] must have a really good chip, haha. Is there any difference in games 3.8 vs 4.0 GHz?

August 13, 2009 4:54:44 PM

spinny said:
Go for 4GHz! I have basically the same core system, got 4GHz on 1.23Vcore, you might be able to get it slightly lower though. Not that it matters, but it will bring your RAM up to a nice pretty 1600.

I wouldn't be worried about shortening the life, as long as you keep the temperatures in check.



ok im testing 3.8/4 GHz atm
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2009 6:09:25 PM

THere wont be any difference in games at 3.8 or 4 ghz but it is still kick ass to say i got there.

are you air cooling?
August 14, 2009 3:03:42 AM

overshocked said:
THere wont be any difference in games at 3.8 or 4 ghz but it is still kick ass to say i got there.

are you air cooling?



Yea, Xigmatek DK, im currently at 3.8 GHZ with 1.18 Vcore (running OCCT as i type this) but trying to boot up 4GHz wont take anything below 1.25 and that BSOD while running prime 95 within 10 minutes. Temps get up to the low 70's with 4 GHz. 3.8 on the otherhand almost matches the temps from the 3.66 GHz oc i had before 65c Max, so I believe i'll stick with 3.8 atm. :D 
August 14, 2009 3:25:19 AM

damn really nice chip there u got a good sample haha
just stick with 3.8 , bcuz ur cpu will not bottleneck ur gfx cards n lil to no difference in games.
ur specs r good but ur case is a lil small :D 
August 14, 2009 3:44:58 AM

overshocks said:
damn really nice chip there u got a good sample haha
just stick with 3.8 , bcuz ur cpu will not bottleneck ur gfx cards n lil to no difference in games.
ur specs r good but ur case is a lil small :D 


my case is actually quite large. but I am having this weird buzzing noise coming from the fan on side panel, i think it is like turbulence or something to deal with the poor design of the metal vent on the side b/c the fan is quiet while off but noisy while on. maybe its how close the fans is to the side of panel idk...
August 14, 2009 4:21:26 PM

I have settings at 3.8 GHz prime 95 Large FTT's stable for 11 Hrs haven't tried longer (will do 2-4 hrs OCCT later) Vcore is 1.19 on load, im happy with the results [:lectrocrew:6].

here are some pics:



Validation:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=654227
August 15, 2009 5:17:54 PM

So I had it 11 hrs prime 95 stable/4 hrs OCCT stable yesterday and played games all day lol and no BSOD then when i stopped to go surf on the web bam lol... so i bumped the Vcore up to 1.19 and did a 8 Hr OCCT small data set test and passed, same temps as before :D  So are there any bios settings i should change like load line, cpu pll voltage, or any of those settings i have on auto?
August 16, 2009 4:09:24 AM

should the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage be the same as the Vcore Voltage? I had to up the Vcore to 1.20 b/c i was 11 hrs prime/8 hrs OCCT stable and when surfing web I randomly BSOD...
August 16, 2009 5:36:15 PM

Bump
August 17, 2009 6:04:19 PM

should I change the UCLK Frequency and QPI Link Data Rate?
August 17, 2009 9:46:23 PM

SOME1 help him...... i would, but i'm kinda n00b when it comes to the settings of OCing... :( 
August 18, 2009 2:22:00 PM

Here are my settings:

C1E enabled
Intel VT Tech Disabled
CPU TM Function enabled
Execute Disabled Bit Disabled
Intel Speed Step Disabled
Intel C-State Tech Disabled
AI Over clock Manual at multi of 20
Bclk Freq 190
Dram Freq DDR3 1523 MHz
Ram Timings 8 8 8 20
CPU Voltage 1.25
QPI Voltage 1.25
Dram Voltage AUTO
MB is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory is super talent 12800 DDR3
Video Card is GeForce GTX 260
Here is screen shot of settings
http://i26.tinypic.com/xfcjgi.jpg
August 19, 2009 7:25:07 AM

super sarge said:
Here are my settings:

C1E enabled
Intel VT Tech Disabled
CPU TM Function enabled
Execute Disabled Bit Disabled
Intel Speed Step Disabled
Intel C-State Tech Disabled
AI Over clock Manual at multi of 20
Bclk Freq 190
Dram Freq DDR3 1523 MHz
Ram Timings 8 8 8 20
CPU Voltage 1.25
QPI Voltage 1.25
Dram Voltage AUTO
MB is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory is super talent 12800 DDR3
Video Card is GeForce GTX 260
Here is screen shot of settings
http://i26.tinypic.com/xfcjgi.jpg



Mmk, but why do you have Intel VT Tech, Execute Disabled Bit, Intel C-State Tech dissabled? ATM im back at my previous 3.66 GHz setting b/c i kept getting blue screens and i know it wasnt the cpu voltage, maybe the QPI/DRAM voltage is what was blue screening me and that annoying duck sound that the comp makes before bs. those are some very nice temps you have there, what cpu paste/HSF do you use?


settings im trying to get stable:

AI Overclocker Tuner: [Manual]
CPU Ratio: [20]
Speed-step: [disabled]
BLCK Frequency: [190]
PCIE Frequency: [100]
DRAM Frequency: [DDR3-1467 MHz] [not sure i think 1500 something]
UCLK Frequency: [Auto]-does that need to be on auto?
QPI Link Data Rate: [Auto] -same ? ^

DRAM Settings:
7-7-7-24

Voltages:
Vcore [1.175]for 3.66 or 1.20 for 3.8
CPU PLL Voltage: [Auto] or [1.82]--best to leave this at AUTO?
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: [1.25] --changed this 2 [1.20]
DRAM Bus: [1.64]
Rest on auto

CIE Support: [Dissabled]
Load-Line Calibration: [Auto]
CPU Differential Amplitude: [Auto]
CPU Clock Skew: [Auto]
CPU Spread Specrum: [Disabled]
IOH Clock Skew: [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum: [Dissabled]
Hyperthreading: [Dissabled

the ones i highlighted are the settings i most need help with, i know every chip is different blahblahblah...but it would be helpful if i could be pointed in the right direction :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 7:40:25 AM

thorox said:
should I change the UCLK Frequency and QPI Link Data Rate?



Drop the QPI speed as low as it can go while still being 2x the memory speed.
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2009 7:52:07 AM

That's uncore (UCLK) - QPI is separate. I try to keep mine around 7-7.2GT/s - I find that's about that fastest I can go without any extra heat, voltage, or instability. Arguably, you could get some additional gain by upping the uncore a bit as well, since that would speed up the L3 cache, but I haven't tried it on mine (I just keep mine at 3200MHz, since my RAM is at 1600).
August 19, 2009 7:59:42 AM

overshocked said:
Drop the QPI speed as low as it can go while still being 2x the memory speed.



will do :D 
August 19, 2009 8:09:41 AM

I have QPI at [3237] closest to 1600 or to actual running speed 1523 MHz [3046] Uncore at 6857 MT/s other choices were 8380, and 9143


vcore 1.20 QPI/DRAM 1.23 its supposedly the "golden rule" to keep QPI/DRAM voltages 0.3 the same as vcore.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 8:16:00 AM

thorox said:
I have QPI at [3237] closest to 1600 or to actual running speed 1523 MHz [3046] Uncore at 6857 MT/s other choices were 8380, and 9143


vcore 1.20 QPI/DRAM 1.23 its supposedly the "golden rule" to keep QPI/DRAM voltages 0.3 the same as vcore.



Sweet, whats your memory speed and voltage at this point?
August 19, 2009 8:17:26 AM

Ima do a 2 hr OCCT test, (olny 2hrs b/c my comp makes my room very hot) and let you guys know how i goes after i sleep a little lol..
August 19, 2009 8:19:06 AM

overshocked said:
Sweet, whats your memory speed and voltage at this point?




1.64 DRAM Voltage, Ram speed is 1523 MHz, timings are 7-7-7-24
August 19, 2009 8:25:29 AM

Ill talk to ya later, you brick bustin, thirst quenching, big glass full of red kool-aid man lol.. :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 8:26:32 AM

Whydont you pump upthe vcore alittle and aim for above 4 ghz?
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2009 8:27:51 AM

I may try upping my QPI/uncore in a bit - see if it helps on any benchmarks or anything. It could be an interesting experiment.
August 19, 2009 8:28:42 AM

overshocked said:
Whydont you pump upthe vcore alittle and aim for above 4 ghz?



Temps bro, temps... im almost hitting the 70c mark at 3.8 GHz prolly hit the 70's mid/high mark if I go for 4.0 GHz
August 19, 2009 8:31:34 AM

also i may add that my ambient room temps are quite high as i don't have ac in my room its just a ceiling fan, and how seeing that this is the summer and all, maybe i could wait until this winter and go for higher clock speeds.
August 19, 2009 8:32:23 AM

cjl said:
I may try upping my QPI/uncore in a bit - see if it helps on any benchmarks or anything. It could be an interesting experiment.



sounds cool, if you do so, let me know the results :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 8:40:07 AM

thorox said:
also i may add that my ambient room temps are quite high as i don't have ac in my room its just a ceiling fan, and how seeing that this is the summer and all, maybe i could wait until this winter and go for higher clock speeds.



Man....you need some better cooling!

Get a DICE pot or make one yourself. That should get you higher ( =
August 19, 2009 5:58:18 PM

overshocked said:
Man....you need some better cooling!

Get a DICE pot or make one yourself. That should get you higher ( =



Well, im not into overclocking THAT much, haha :D  btw i passed 5 1/2 hrs prime 95 small FTT's @3.8 GHz max 70c... sorta pointless to go to 4 GHz with these temps, maybe this winter or when it cool's down abit ill crank up this chip up and see what it can do. I wonder how everyone else seems to get really cool temps with the Ziggy DK HSF but me haha... well the room ambient temps make a big difference I guess.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 6:07:47 PM

What is the room temp?
August 19, 2009 6:20:37 PM

don't exactly have thermometer with me but id say 80-85 Fahrenheit, Easy on some days..
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 6:29:05 PM

IM telling you man, you gotta get some more exotic cooling in there.
August 19, 2009 6:41:31 PM

overshocked said:
IM telling you man, you gotta get some more exotic cooling in there.



Yea my computer is defiantly fighting against me lol it heats it self up, by heating my room up, if that makes any sense.. do you know of a cheap a/c unit for 1 small room ,it is probbaly 100 sq ft. is only about 11 ft by 12-13 ft.. that would probably take my whole paycheck as i only work part-time at a pizza place, but hey its my first job lol :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 6:56:08 PM

craigslist is what you need.

Buy a 5000btu window ac unit.

Or you can buy the window ac unit and turn it into a slush box to get negative temps. Theyr super easy to make.

all you need is a cooler, some anti freeze , and an a/c unit
August 19, 2009 7:12:29 PM

overshocked said:
craigslist is what you need.

Buy a 5000btu window ac unit.

Or you can buy the window ac unit and turn it into a slush box to get negative temps. Theyr super easy to make.

all you need is a cooler, some anti freeze , and an a/c unit



I might just go with the 5000 btu window ac unit soon as i get enough cash..looks like that second 4870 will have to wait lol
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 7:28:10 PM

Hmmm...... A slush box would yield lower temps, But whatever you want.
August 19, 2009 7:53:57 PM

overshocked said:
Hmmm...... A slush box would yield lower temps, But whatever you want.



so how would you go about making this "slush box"? I googled it and found nothing lol
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 8:12:19 PM

Its actually really simple.

1. Buy a 500BTU a/c unit and a cooler.

2. Open up the a/c unit and take off one of the fans.

3. Then take the evaporator and bend it so it fits in the cooler.

4. Cut a hole in the cooler for the pipes that go to the evaporator

5. Put the evaporator in the cooler.

6. Fill up the cooler with antifreeze.

7. Cut some holes in the cooler for your watercooling tubes.

8. Put your tubes in the cooler.

9. Set up the pump etc etc.

10. Mount the CPU waterbloack on the spu and hook up all the pipes.

11. turn the ac on and enjoi negative temps.


I can draw you a picture when i get my new motherboard. But for now im on my mac computer so i cant draw a pic.
August 19, 2009 8:43:40 PM

overshocked said:
Its actually really simple.

1. Buy a 500BTU a/c unit and a cooler.

2. Open up the a/c unit and take off one of the fans.

3. Then take the evaporator and bend it so it fits in the cooler.

4. Cut a hole in the cooler for the pipes that go to the evaporator

5. Put the evaporator in the cooler.

6. Fill up the cooler with antifreeze.

7. Cut some holes in the cooler for your watercooling tubes.

8. Put your tubes in the cooler.

9. Set up the pump etc etc.

10. Mount the CPU waterbloack on the spu and hook up all the pipes.

11. turn the ac on and enjoi negative temps.


I can draw you a picture when i get my new motherboard. But for now im on my mac computer so i cant draw a pic.



so basically a A/C unit converted into a type of water cooling, sounds cool,but agian to much for the average guy lolz . Did you come up with this idea you're self?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 8:55:23 PM

No man.... its been around a while.

Its a form of phase change. Some people call it chillers. But it will give you well elow zero temps.
August 19, 2009 9:07:15 PM

overshocked said:
No man.... its been around a while.

Its a form of phase change. Some people call it chillers. But it will give you well elow zero temps.



Oh, i guess i settle for the a/c unit then it should defiantly help temps maybe i should get some better case fans.. I bought these last week
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

not the greatest but they were cheap, i think there the same ones that come with the CM 690 case. I might buy some of those Yate Loon fans you guys recommended, should i get the medium or low speed? I dont want my case sounding like a airplane about to take off lol...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 9:11:46 PM

Personelly i like the high speed. But if you dont like it loud than stick with the medium. Thereis no point in getting the low speed ones because CM fans will go just as fast.
August 19, 2009 9:58:04 PM

super sarge said:
Here are my settings:

C1E enabled
Intel VT Tech Disabled
CPU TM Function enabled
Execute Disabled Bit Disabled
Intel Speed Step Disabled
Intel C-State Tech Disabled
AI Over clock Manual at multi of 20
Bclk Freq 190
Dram Freq DDR3 1523 MHz
Ram Timings 8 8 8 20
CPU Voltage 1.25
QPI Voltage 1.25
Dram Voltage AUTO
MB is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory is super talent 12800 DDR3
Video Card is GeForce GTX 260
Here is screen shot of settings
http://i26.tinypic.com/xfcjgi.jpg


u spelt fluctuates wrong in ur pic, also why u have speedstep disabled and c1e enabled
August 19, 2009 10:05:40 PM

oh i guess order some of the medium fans when ever i get payed. Will there be any noticeable difference between the CM fans i already vs. the Yate Loon ones?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2009 10:47:59 PM

Not really unless you go from only haveing one case fan to having 10.

Or if you place the fans directly on the cpu heatsink.
!