redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Can some one explain to me what the pagefile is, how it works, and how i can set it properly for best performance. I'm running Windows Vista 64 bit with:

8 Gbs of PC8500 memory, OCZ
ASUS rampage formula
Intel Quad Core Q9450
Xigmatech CPU cooler
640 GB HD
Visiontek 4870 OC'd to 780 core and 1100 mhz memory
antec 900 case

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
You can almost disable the page file completely. Some software(mostly older) still looks for a page file and will give you a BSOD when if it does not find one. I suggest that since you have 8GB of ram(like myself) just put the page file at 512.

The pagefile is a part of the hard drive the OS uses like extra RAM. Back when having 1GB of ram was totally sci fi and when ram speeds were low, the OS needed to store things in other places besides ram to help it along. It is really no longer needed as ram and HDD have sped up nicely.

So just put it at 512MB. I have it that way and have had no BSOD since installing Vista64 back in march. Everything runs out of my system ram. Works fantastic.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with rochin. Just set the pagefile at 512mb to be safe. You'll probably never use it, but just enable it so old programs don't have problems.

The pagefile is basically space on the hard drive that the OS uses as ram.

VTOLfreak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Even better: Just leave it on automatic. Seriously, I'm not joking. Vista may be a memory hog but its also quite good at moving its fat ass out of the way when needed.

I have 4GB ram with an 8GB page file. Rightnow my system is using 1GB ram for programs & OS, 3GB for cache and its 1.5GB into the page file. And it is fast as hell. Faster than XP64 ever was on the same system.

If you have a extra drive to spare I would put it onthere. But disabling or making a really small page file will only make Vista slower, not faster. Vista's memory manager is allot smarter than the one from XP. Leave your old tricks from XP behind...