no post GA-MA770-DS3 rev1

djwazzup06

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I bought a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev1 a couple months ago in June and was working great until this past month. Twice a week or so my computer would be locked up in the morning, meaning it would lock up over night when i'm not using it. So I thought nothing of it, it's Windows ya know? Went on with it, until yesterday.

It did it again over night, but this time holding the power button wouldn't turn it off. I had to pull the plug. I tried turning it on and no post, no screen, nothing. So I started the basic trouble shoot. I unplugged/took out everything except PSU, CPU, and mobo and turned it on, hoping for a POST beep for no RAM, but nothing. I tested the CPU and PSU with another computer and works fine, so I'm assuming the motherboard had died out of the blue. No smoke, no weird noises, nothing out of the ordinary besides for random lockups idle overnight.

Any ideas what happened? I was OCing my AMD 5000+ BE at 3.0 from 2.6 just by uping the multiplier since its a BE. Also any suggestions on another mobo?

AMD 5000+ BE AM2
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev1
4gbs Gskill ddr2 800
ati radeon 4850
Vista ultimate 64bit
WD 160gb 7200 sata2 hdd
BFG 650 psu

djwazzup06

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
So I bought a new motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128075

My computer booted up and posted fine, and working as usual, until last night. It locked up and gave me the same BSOD that i was getting with my old mobo before it died. Same symptoms are occuring with this new motherboard.

Could my PSU be causing this? Maybe bad power to the motherboard causing it to flake like this? Or would my HDD just be going bad? But if it were my HDD then i would get a post atleast with my old motherboard.

Maybe a minidump will help? I have memtest'd my RAM and its fine. Should i stop OC'ing?