First Attempt at Building My Own Computer...Help on Parts Please:)

SkippyMcGee

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I've been wanting to build a new computer for awhile now mainly to play games... My current computer can't handle anything on decent settings with decent FrPS. So I've spent the last week trying to figure out everything I needed and to keep the price below 1300... Well I think I got everything I need, but I topped out over 1410 with all the combo deals and rebates and etc...

I can live with the xtra 150bucks as long as I know every thing I'm about to purchase is of decent quality, compatible, and not to confusing when I try to put it together(Never done it, but I think I can do it, hopefully).

Just wanted to know if anyone could look over this list and let me know if I'm missing anything, or if anything is a bad product or if I can save some money without losing performance, or if some of the parts are incompatible with each other. Or basically any general help at all, since I'm a really nervous about spending this money :( But after years of prebuilt retail computers, I've gotten frustrated.

Anyhoo, here's the list of things I'm probably gonna purchase in the next few days... Prices is actually about 150 lower than what it shows from combo-rebates. Total is 1410ish, would love to get to 1300 but I'm quite content if it's a decent system. Already have Mouse/Keyboard/Wireless Card/Speakers from my old computer that I like.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12349967&WishListTitle=First

I don't plan on overclocking anything since I have little to no idea how to do it... Do I need a fan/heatsink besides the case ones if I don't plan on overclocking?

Basically any help on anything would amazing... Or any advice on putting it together. I'm competent but again, never attempted building one from scratch. I've installed bits and pieces(Vid Card, RAM, DVD, Wireless card), but not everything.

Thanks again :)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
shoudl work fine, but i personally would settle for intel over amd, only because their processors are faster overall... and a core2 should be just fine for modern games and apps... it should work though

SkippyMcGee

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

Is there a huge difference in the processor speeds? This one is about 100bucks cheaper then the Q9450. I read a few decent reviews but haven't seen what it comparable to on Intel's side.

Ahh... Thanks for the info.

I think I read something about that... Supposed to happen around the 20th? I'd have to change a few things then wouldn't I? Like the motherboard, is there one you could recommend around the same price? Just seemed to cost more when I tried to put together a list of parts using the Q9450, quite a bit more it seemed.

Good list, but why not get a Q6600 (video editing or the likes of that; Q6600 is still the best Quad core for the money and OC very well) or a E8400(gaming); esp. if planing to OC?

The RAM, HSF (assuming you are going to OC; else it's an overkill), GPU (best price vs performance), LCD, HDD DVD, are all good choices.

For PSU consider the PP&C 610 ($94 after MIR) or the PP&C 750 ($130 after MIR). Imo, these PSUs are much better quality than the Antec PSU and the extra money spent is worth it. Also consider the Corsair PSUs. Also do you plan to CrossFire?

PP&C PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Your motherboard and your monitor has a no refund policy on them. I would make different selections because until you actually put all the parts together you don't know if all this stuff is compatible. I would especially be concerned about the motherboard and ram. Anybody that has built a couple of systems can probably tell you stories of ram that just would not work with a particular motherboard.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

SkippyMcGee

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for all the help everyone...

To the poster who asked... No I don't plan on overclocking, I really don't have the knowledge how to do it. Which is why I chose a higher speed processor. Everyone says the 6600 is a great deal for the money. Is the Q9450 gonna drop drastically in price later this month?

Also I don't really understand what you meant by the ddr21066 ram having problems... Wouldnt ddr2800 be slower?

The no refund policy on the motherboard is fine since after reading some responses and researching what you said I may choose an intel board if I can find a decent deal on a Intel processor. I'll make sure I find one with a refund policy. Thank you for pointing that out.

Had some trouble trying to find PSU because that was the last thing I was looking for and I was trying to shave some money, so I found one in a combo deal with the case.

Again thanks for the help, hopefully I can get this figured out by next week, really wanted to start building this, my current computer is currently dying I think.

+1. All are good parts.

Also I don't really understand what you meant by the ddr21066 ram having problems... Wouldnt ddr2800 be slower?
Yes DDR2 800 is slower. But, the DDR2 1066 has compatibility problems such as giving RAM errors, BSODs,etc. In most cases the DDR2 1066 RAM is just factory OCed DDR2 800 RAM.