Intel have released their 6core dunnington xeons!

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Haven't followed the server end all that much lately, but are these 3 dual cores packaged as a 6 core, or are they two quads with one disabled core packaged as a 6 core? It's a good idea if yields are bad to disable a core, but I can't see a good core disabled on the server side. There, an 8 core CPU could be used, but marketing would have to create a need for desktop CPU's with this many cores. We all know desktop software isn't going to use 6 cores anytime soon.

Anyways, good job Intel. What I'd like to see as an AMD fan is all those who diss the triple cores do the same if 3 or 6 core Intel CPU's involve packaging chips with one core disabled. That would be fair and balanced, so to speak.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

From the pictures of the die I have seen it is 3 dual core masks on a single piece of silicon with a bunch of cache filling in the voids. Here's a link to a slide showing the die:

http://www.pcper.com/#NewsID-6156

I'm honestly not sure how well these are going to work. I'd guess that Intel is thinking that adding the additional cores to each processor might alleviate some of the disadvantage the current xeons have compared to opterons in multi-socket configurations. If it works then it should be a decent upgrade for server customers that don't want to have to change out their motherboards in order to use the new Nehalem processors.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008

Tri-force cpu, I love it!

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Thanks for the link. Isn't AMD coming out with 8 core server CPU's that are 2 quads packaged together (i.e. non native core?). If Nehalem has any yield issues, I'm sure we'll see triple cores on the desktop and additional six core server.

Just noticed this "catch" with the Dunnington's if they're running Windows:

There's an odd catch, however, that will affect the highest of high-end configurations. "Because Microsoft Windows operating system support is limited to a 64-core environment, within a single OS instance, we'll support up to 64 cores," said Colin Lacey, a Unisys marketing vice president.

"You'd actually have 96 cores physically within the system. But then you would disable two cores in each socket. So you'd actually be running these sockets at four active cores each (out of six)," Lacey said.

Lacey said this condition is necessary to deliver the highest performance in a Xeon 7400-based server running Windows, though he expects to rectify the 64-processor limitation in the future. He added that he wouldn't consider 64 cores to be a limitation in the "real world" for most customers, who would in most cases opt for servers with a smaller number of cores.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10041308-92.html

Guess that won't happen under Linux? Now, what's the use of buying 6 cores in the 96 core configuration if you only get 4 cores working on each CPU?

Triple is "in" TC. Just wait, we'll eventually see triple GPU's on one card, if ASUS has their way:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=629

I'm sure Intel will have some triple cripples out when they go to Nehalem. Me, I like burgers with pineapple slices and soy sauce.

Nehalem will be interesting, as will Deneb, but what I really want to see is the second post SOI version of Deneb, that and the next AMD architecture.

Newegg tracking has my triple core somewhere on the way to Mesquite. Even if it gets here Thursday, I won't have time to benchmark the old CPU/mobo, then setup and benchmark the new, until Saturday.