marion_quijano

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
hey guyz.

do someone knows on which of the two cpu cooler is best for amd phenom 2 940. coolermaster v8 which is an air cooler and coolermaster aquagate max-water cooling. what is the difference between the two specifically in temperature in degree celsius? because im planning to get an aquagate max i just want to experience using water cooling and wondering if it is worth buying for the perfomance i can get. thanks....

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

marion_quijano

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

....As far as i can say damn water cooling is very complicated and i think is most expensive than air cooling. the problem is in our place i could not find retailer shops for water cooling the only kit they have is thermaltake bigwater and coolermaster aquagate max. anyway right now im using the coolermaster v8 on my phenom 2 940. and i get a temp of 52 celsius on full load and 46 just for surfing the net and basic task. i just dont want it to get above 52 degree because when im playing games sometimes the graphics slows down , im not sure whats the problem, i think its because of the processor overheating on reviews they say the cpu performs well when its not overheating. any way if i'll upgrade my cooler with the thermalright ultra true black do you think the temps won't go above 50 degrees? thanks

marion_quijano

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

thanks superhal for your info. why do you think coolermaster aquagte max isnt a good performer for cooling the cpu? i'll review the hsf guide you send me. what do you think of the thermalright ultra true black. is it better than the coolermaster v8? thanks.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I'm not familiar with the coolermaster, but part of the guide is basic characteristics of a "good" cooler: height, fan size, heat pipes, etc. If the coolermaster doesn't have these features, it's probably a poor performer.

The aquagate just isn't big enough to dissapate heat. Imagine this: if a 90mm fan on a 150mm cooler does X over ambient, why would a 60mm fan on a water cooler do a better job? A water cooling system still uses fans to cool, and the amount of air (measured as CFM) decides how well the hsf can cool.

The TRUE is a decent one, but the clip system for AMD clips is horrible and doesn't produce enough pressure. It's meant to be bolted into the motherboard for maximum performance. Also, it doesn't come with a fan nor a speed control, both of which come with many other HSF's.

Be careful with the fan. While to the naked eye, 80% of the high-performance hsf's are identical, the big difference is the fan and how many CFM's it produces. If you compare the Thermalright S1234, True, and S1234 EE, the only difference is the fan size. The True outperforms the other two by a lot.

marion_quijano

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

.....just found out today my cpu temperature reading using the amd overdrive and it was high, 46-48 degrees when surfing the net and 55 degree when full load, i guess the asus utility doesnt provide an accurate reading. when i o.c the phenom 940 at 3.5 ghz with the same core voltage as stock setting at 1.350 temps when full load using prime 95 is already reaching 58 degree just under mins runtime of prime 95, no wonder when i play high end games the graphics isnt doing well. so i think i really need to go for water cooling. my choice would be the coolermaster aquagate max which has a 2-fan radiator with a 400ltrs/hour pump or the swiftech h20 220 compact which is almost the same specs as the coolermaster aquagate max the only difference is the pump of the swiftech h20 220 is together with the cpu water block im not sure if it will perform well. are you familiar with swiftech products? i guess you are. hehe. anyway. i think after 3 years the next build pc i will get would be intel already, amd has issues of heat problems, owners should really find a way to cool their cpus. unlike intel they have a massive temperature headroom for their cpus i think that is the biggest advantage of intel against amd in terms of temperature..as for now i just have to find a solution with my problems. thanks....

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
quote : "i think after 3 years the next build pc i will get would be intel already, amd has issues of heat problems, owners should really find a way to cool their cpus. unlike intel they have a massive temperature headroom for their cpus i think that is the biggest advantage of intel against amd in terms of temperature"

what are you talkin about , you have no idea do you?
intel doesnt have a massive temperature headroom..amd can go up high as well.
do you even know how to do watercooling?
the v8 sucks bad why did u get in first place
get a core contact freezer for ur cpu.

marion_quijano

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

... when i purchased the v8 i didnt know anything yet about cpu cooler and their performance. im not familiar yet with overclocking when i build my pc though i read some articles over the internet about overclocking. my mistake was i didnt research on aftermarket cpu coolers. so that is why i was hoping that someone can give me an advice on what is the best cpu cooler i can replace my v8? i was thinking of the thermalright true black 120, i read some reviews and its stands out from the rest. is the thermalright true black really good? thanks for your help.