Help with changing cards from Nvidia to ATI

G

So I'm playing this new mmo Warhammer Online and think my graphics card may be causing the choppy play I get here and there, mostly when a lot of players are on screen. So I wanted to switch out my 7950gtoc for my new ATI 8540.

Now in order to do this I had to buy a new power supply, 500W and install that as well. I tried to get rid of all things Nvidia and then hooked the new card and power supply in. However when I started the system it would boot up and give me two errors and then shut down and the repeat.

These are the errors it gave me:

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll
The specified module could not be found

and

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll
The specified module could not be found

Not sure what to do since I thought I had gottern rid of the old drivers. I tried driver sweeper but not really sure how to use it and probably did it wrong. I guess the *Nv* means Nvidia is still around yes?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed!

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
You have two choices here

-complete reinstall of windows, which I strongly suggest when switching from one manufacturer to another or

-put back the nvidia card in your pc, start windows, uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the generic windows vga driver, shut down pc, install ati card, boot up windows and install ati driver.

Have fun !! :wahoo:

I noticed you started another thread with the exact same question ..... please do not do this .... post one thread and be patient, people will reply !

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
http://www.ursoftware.com/download.php

go here get the trial version of your uninstaller,use it,,it it worth having,consider buying it,way better than the supplied junk...!!!!:)

the only time a complete reinstall should be contemplated is when a major upgrade takes place like mobo replacement,,almost everything else is just drivers,,,,,,and you can reinstall right over an existing install,,,if it works or not depends what you are looking for,registry repair is not to be expected,,maybe,,maybe not,,too many variables with registry.....
almost everything else though is fair game,if there are a lot of FOUND files or directories an over the top reinstall is defimately in order,especially if the FOUND stuff is on the primary C:/ partition,something not working,system crashing,,now you know why,,FOUND is/could be anything..........:)

ewor

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Nothing beats a fresh install

Dont mind dokk2, what would be more accurate to say is a fresh install is only necessary when you cannot boot into windows and cannot fix/find the problem. Its true that you can reinstall the windows base system and still elave pretty much all your files/folders intact etc but still your left with a tainted os, its not 100%

You would have to specify more information...
-can you boot up into windows? and those errors only appear when you start up/log on?
-you cannot boot into windows? can you boot into safe mode (tap F8, after bios screen at start up for boot options menu)
-How did you unistall the nvidia drivers? with the nvidia uninstaller?
-Does replacing the original graphics card solve the boot problem?