Upgrading Dell Precision Workstation 650

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Workstations
  • Dell
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 30, 2009 3:04:18 AM

Hello: I Own a Dell Precision Workstation 650 purchased in 2003. Right now, I can't afford to buy a brand new computer. I have a license for Windows 7 64 and 32 bit versions. Wanted to ask for some suggestions on an internal 10K RPM drive with either 500 or 750GB of storage. Hopefully at a fairly low price point. The machine has 4GB of ECC Ram and two Intel Zeon 2.8 GHZ Processors. Any suggestions as to what I should do or is there a chance of still getting a reasonable amount of money for this machine through a niche web site catering to Computer aided design professionals?

More about : upgrading dell precision workstation 650

a b G Storage
December 2, 2009 6:09:01 AM

I'd suggest you aim for a 7200rpm drive instead. 10000rpm drives are considerably more expensive, especially at the capacities you're looking for. The performance difference between the two isn't very significant after all, especially since CAD isn't a demanding application in terms of read and write speeds.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:09:24 AM

R_manic:

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, I'm not using the machine for CAD. At the higher end of my list of software applications is editing and compressing video. a fast SATA drive might work. Still need more input from the community on the rest of the machine or get some suggestions on where the best place on line is to sell the machine.

Thanks,
Steve
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2009 5:35:02 AM

r_manic said:
I'd suggest you aim for a 7200rpm drive instead. 10000rpm drives are considerably more expensive, especially at the capacities you're looking for. The performance difference between the two isn't very significant after all, especially since CAD isn't a demanding application in terms of read and write speeds.

Still looking for advice on what to do with this machine? Any suggestions as to where online I might be able to find some buyers for it?
m
l
December 30, 2009 11:27:56 PM

Hello:

Thanks for your advice. As of right now, my machine has a bad motherboard. Dell advised me that I can only use part number XM760. After searching the net, I haven't been able to locate one since it is too old.

Any suggestions on what the best place is on the net to sell the parts from the machine?

m
l
March 26, 2014 5:56:06 AM

You can try a place called thecomputershow.com they sell mother boards at a reasonable price
m
l
!