Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Win XP wont load, hangs at splash screen

Last response: in Windows XP
December 1, 2010 6:08:00 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I've been trying to fix my brothers computer for days now. It was working fine with Win XP Pro and I installed a windows update, restarted and now it wont load past the splash screen (loading bar just keeps moving). I've tried safe mode and that wouldnt work either. It just hangs up on the commands. I've also tried doing windows recovery with the Windows XP Home cd and that didn't work as well. I'm now trying recovery console and just did fixboot and fixmbr. I haven't rebooted yet because its still in the process of chkdsk /r. If this doesn't work, I dont know what else to try. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.
December 1, 2010 8:27:19 PM

kman1981 said:
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I've been trying to fix my brothers computer for days now. It was working fine with Win XP Pro and I installed a windows update, restarted and now it wont load past the splash screen (loading bar just keeps moving). I've tried safe mode and that wouldnt work either. It just hangs up on the commands. I've also tried doing windows recovery with the Windows XP Home cd and that didn't work as well. I'm now trying recovery console and just did fixboot and fixmbr. I haven't rebooted yet because its still in the process of chkdsk /r. If this doesn't work, I dont know what else to try. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Well I rebooted and its still doing the samething. Please help!!!
December 1, 2010 11:00:51 PM

Try booting into safe mode with command prompt. If you can get to the prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. This will open the system restore points, and you can roll back to before you did the windows update.
Related resources
December 2, 2010 1:07:12 PM

I've tried to boot in safe mode with command prompt, but it just stops while loading at multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

If I use the Windows XP cd and press R to go into Windows Recovery, that looks like cmd prompt, or is it different? Thank you for taking your time to helping me out. I really hope we can fix this...
December 2, 2010 9:03:33 PM

Its on my brothers HP laptop... His battery is pretty much shot, hes been using it while its plugged in for a long time now. I'm thinking about opening it up and seeing if I can take the battery off of the motherboard for a bit. I did the windows repair but that was before I formatted and re-installed Windows. I can try the repair again.
December 2, 2010 9:10:15 PM

I would take a good look at that RAM. Either test 1 chip at a time, or run memtest on it, or both.

Did the chkdsk /r complete ok?
December 2, 2010 9:15:31 PM

No errors came up after I did chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r. Where would I run memtest at? windows recovery?
December 2, 2010 9:40:21 PM

Ok, there was only a single 1 GB mem chip. I took that out and tried booting it up. It still hangs up at the Windows loading screen (loading bar still moves), and I've tried loading in Safe Mode with command prompt. It still stops at mup.sys
December 2, 2010 9:46:07 PM

Ok, going to try memtest now
December 2, 2010 10:17:36 PM

Memtest complete and no errors came up
December 2, 2010 10:23:54 PM

Memtest needs to run for several hours to get an accurate result.
December 2, 2010 10:34:30 PM

Fine with me, I think I'm just stressing myself out looking at the damn thing
December 2, 2010 11:28:01 PM

If memtest comes up clean, try running bootcfg /rebuild in the repair console.
December 6, 2010 1:52:59 PM

Alright, I typed that in and this is what came up.

Total identified scan was successful.

Total identified windows install: 1
[1]:C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list (Yes/No/All): Y
(I put Y or A here?)
Enter load identifier: 1
Enter OS load options:
?

Not sure if I enter 1 for OS load option but I tried it then it just went back to c:\windows
December 6, 2010 1:58:58 PM

I see what it did, created another boot up option, but its still hanging on the windows loading screen
December 6, 2010 2:02:45 PM

Put a Y at the first prompt.

The name of the load identifier, is the name of your operating system. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

The OS load options. These are pretty standard options:
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
December 6, 2010 2:47:44 PM

Its still hanging up at the load screen in normal mode and it still stops at mup.sys in safe mode....
December 6, 2010 3:22:08 PM

could it be my power supply?
December 6, 2010 3:27:32 PM

If it's a laptop, it doesn't have a power supply. It'll run off the battery or AC adapter.

When you say you 'did the repair,' how did you do it?
What kind (manufacturer) of hard drive is in the laptop?
December 7, 2010 11:45:02 AM

I let the memtest run for an entire day, then my brother turned the computer off so I didnt get to see the results. I did check it 6 hrs into the scan and no errors came up.
December 7, 2010 12:21:49 PM

I burned the Seatools DOS ISO image and loaded it, first thing that came up is the License agreement. For some reason I can't use my mouse or keyboard to click on I Accecpt. Think the ISO burn was bad and I should burn another?
December 7, 2010 12:48:29 PM

Are you using the laptop mouse, or a PS2/USB?
December 7, 2010 3:07:28 PM

I tried both, I unplugged the mouse from USB and tried using the laptop
December 7, 2010 3:20:47 PM

The mouse pad should work. If USB mice isn't enabled in the BIOS, that may explain that one.
December 7, 2010 4:21:24 PM

Unfortunitly my bios is PheonixBIOS, which doesn't give me that option. What a load of crap that is..... Its wierd, only thing that will work is Alt + Ctrl + Del. then it puts me into Seatools command prompt.
December 7, 2010 4:22:53 PM

I mean when the Seatools Diagnostics tool comes up, the Alt + Ctrl + Del is the only thing that'll work. There is a command that says Ct.mouse.exe but still that doesn't seem to do anything either.
December 7, 2010 4:34:57 PM

If you have a PS2 port, you may want to try a PS2 mouse.
December 7, 2010 4:52:08 PM

I might have one laying around somewhere. I'm also going to try maybe an older version of Seatools. I tried v. 222, going to try v. 220
December 7, 2010 6:34:21 PM

I tried v. 220 and it did the samething. Then I tried v. 110 and my keys did work but it didnt find my hard drive.

His laptop doesn't have a ps2 port, only 4 usb ports and LPT ports, etc. I tried Seatools v.220 on this computer and it worked fine. Not sure why it does that on the laptop.
December 7, 2010 8:01:44 PM

hdat2 seems to be working, it's testing now. Hope it comes up with some sort of answer. Thank you so far.
December 8, 2010 12:40:49 PM

I ran the hdat2 and ultimate boot cd tests and the hard drive came up with no errors. I chatted with tech support from Seagate and they mention I should try and install the recovery drivers. He gave me a link to the HP website (which I cant find right now) on ways to install. The only option I might of been able to use was to put in the Operating System CD and press f6 to add a RAID or NTFS deal. When prompted for the drivers, it was telling me to insert a floppy disk when there isnt a floppy drive on the laptop. I need it to let me insert a CD but I dont know how.
December 8, 2010 1:04:13 PM

If your XP disc is SP2 or SP3, and you're not running a RAID array, you shouldn't need to load any drivers at that F6 prompt.

I'd be interested to know what their 'recovery drivers' are. You've already done a full windows repair.
December 8, 2010 1:22:45 PM

Its actually an SP1 disc
December 8, 2010 1:29:23 PM

Ah, then it lacks the SATA drivers.
December 9, 2010 2:17:59 PM

Is there an ISO SATA driver installation program? I'll try anything at this point
December 9, 2010 8:17:06 PM

What you do, is download the SATA drivers from the motherboard's website, and put them on a bootable floppy disk. When you press F6 during the install, it'll check the floppy disk and load the drivers.

Another option, is to create a slipstreamed disk. You can use a program such as nlite, and you can download SP2 or SP3, and slipstream it into a new install disc. The newer SP's have the SATA support in them.
December 10, 2010 1:15:08 PM

I got Windows XP Pro SP2 last night. I put it in, formatted and installed it and it is still doing the same thing. I used UBCD to find out what motherboard I have and it said:
Vendor: HP
Product: 089C
Version: 31.36
S/N: CND43501RHABCDEF

I've also read a forum on Microsofts website with an individual that was having the exact same problem. He did pretty much everything that I have done so far and when he went to update his BIOS, it fixed his issue. I went HP's website and found (I think) the BIOS for the my notebook but its an .exe file. Is there any way to open that?
December 10, 2010 2:10:47 PM

kman1981 said:

First off if you can get to safe mode options with F8 then try last known good config. that may load it. either way try the next steps. if last known good config don't work then go into safe mode like before and go to c:\windows. at the top of the toolbar go to tools and then folder options. click the view tab and tell it to show hidden files and folders. you'll see a huge list of folders probably that are blue and have $NTuninstal with a kb article. find that last update that was done. if you need to go to the list and show details to see date then do that. double click the $uninstall folder for the last update. that try and reboot.
December 10, 2010 2:30:26 PM

Unfortunitly I've tried that. The laptop won't boot up in safe mode or last known config. When I try safe mode, it hangs up on mup.sys. I was told that by possibly updating my drivers might fix the mup.sys issue. So I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 (since its suppose to have the supported SATA drivers) but that didn't work either. It still hangs up on the loading screen and in every other boot operation.
December 10, 2010 6:45:59 PM

What is the laptop model? Have you checked to see if it has a flash utility (such as Q-flash) that's done from the BIOS?
December 11, 2010 9:35:04 PM

HP Pavilion zv5000. I think its a 2004. I've check the BIOS for a flash utility and didn't find anything.
December 13, 2010 12:41:22 PM

Its the intel version of the BIOS. I've actually already downloaded that but since its an .exe file it won't start during the boot up operation.
December 13, 2010 6:49:24 PM

You repaired using Win XP SP2 ? Did not work no ?
Safe Mode ? No luck here I see .
HDD & RAM both ok ? I guess so .

Try installing Win 7 Pro :) 
It solved a similar case for me, for an Fujitsu laptop ...but after a while it turned out to be a mainboard problem .
Give Win 7 a try ... after all, you've got nothing to lose .
!