Large Hard Drive Reliability?

kumori

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Just recently purchased a 3.5" external Western Digital Elements 1.5TB (Caviar Green) drive for $88. I thought it was a great deal for the GB/$, but I'm unsure of whether bigger drives are less reliable (more prone to fail) than their smaller 500GB or 640GB counterparts?

I know about the more platters and parts in a bigger drive and wonder if that is an issue? I've never used a drive above 160GB, so I don't really have experience with such large capacity drive, even though I have looked at reviews on Newegg and Amazon for similar drives.

I plan to use this drive for primarily storage, and I currently have a different, smaller external drive that I use for storage and probably boot up only once a week or so (for a few hours). This is probably the usage pattern I'm going to take with this 1.5TB drive. I'm planning on using the drive as a back up for the information stored on my computer hard drives and also store some data I have that I wouldn't want to lose, but isn't necessarily essential.