Yet Another New System Build: Input Appreciated!!

Hey Guys,

Building a new system and would like some input. Current system is so old, no longer upgradable thus starting from scratch.

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

MEMORY: OCZ (OCZ2RPX800EB4GK) PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth 4GB (2x2048) Dual Channel please feel free to comment on this choice as I don't understand the latency numbers for memory, I know lower is better but have always used OCZ and have never had any problems

Video Card: 4850 for sure, was considering ASUS due to 3 year warranty, but read somewhere that the VisionTek cards carry a lifetime warranty so may spring for a 4870 by Vision Tek

PSU : Antec TP3-650 TruePower Trio 650W that I'll be installing in an older Antec Case, will buy a P182 next paycheck

HD: Western Digital Caviar (WD5000AAKS) 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Buffer

Need advice on CPU Cooling.. and my memory choice.

I went with the P45 chipset so I could keep costs down and will likely upgrade to a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 when they come down in price in Feb or so and will also be able to add a second 4850/70.

This will mainly be a gaming rig, mostly for MMOs and FPSs. Running a BenQ G2000W 20" LCD but will likely upgrade to a 24" when I go C/F.

Thanks in advance for input.

RC
6 answers Last reply
More about system build input appreciated
  1. For CPU cooling, you just need something such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 . Cheap, effective. Memory seems fine to me. If you like something, stick with it, in my opinion.
  2. Different hard drive, get the WD 640, little pricier, much better.
    If you go cross fire you might need a bigger power supply.

A lot of people recommend the 750W corsair one.
  3. If you plan to crossfire, definitely need to change mobo to an x38 or x48.
  4. The question is not IF I C/F, it's when =) .. I was going to upgrade to a x48 MB, likely a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, but while I wait for prices to come down I'd settle for a inexpensive no frills M/B like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L.

On the topic of PSUs, again, going with Antec due to good experiences in the past, so maybe adjust my choice to Antec TPQ-850 850W but Corsair TX Series TX750W is $30 cheaper and seems to have good reviews. Again, planning on going to Crossfire in the near future.

Any comments on the VisionTek cards? Should I just pocket the coin I save on going with the P45 M/B and just stick with the Asus or Gigabyte 4850 or is the 4870 worth the premium? Remember, I'll be buying a second vid card to match in the near future.

As for the WD 640, it's only $20 more, may as well spring for it.

Thanks for the comments so far

RC
  5. In my first post, I outline a modest gaming rig, with the intention to upgrade the mobo to an x48 in the future and add a second 4850/70.

I've been reading about the impending launch of the 4850/70X2 in August. Am I correct to assume that I'll be able to use this card in the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L with full PCI-E 2.0 x16 support?

If this is the case then will it be unnecessary to upgrade to the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

TIA
    RC
  6. Why spend the $$$ for the P45 chipset now and then spend additional $$$ for the X38/X48 mobo later? Unless you are sure to get your full investment back on the P45, you'll most likely lose money in the long run.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product