PCI-E 2.0 and OCing

G

I just looked up the differences between pci-e 1.1 and pci-e 2.0... and as far as I can tell the only difference is bandwidth and the power the slot gives the card (150w vs 75w) if thats true... does a regular pci-e 1.1 slot limit the OCing potential of the newer cards? I know there won't be any bandwidth issues except with like the 9800 gx2...

Will there be a limit to over clocking due to power restraints? and will future cards... such as the gtx 380 and/or 5870 (or w/e their names are) be limited by a normal pci-e 1.1 slot?

I'm thinking of getting a board that has a normal slot and not a 2.0 slot... and want to keep the board for a long time...

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Na........there really isn't much of a difference unless you use one of those dual single slot cards..........a single card in a pci slot still works almost the same

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
And theres no way of knowing how much horsepower the next gen cards will bring to the table. A 9800GX2 almost saturates a PCI-e 1.1 8x link, so for multi-card setups the old standard is probably about to its end, for single cards you should get by for another generation at least.