Cheapest way to get a Wi-Fi Pocket pc or palm

November 19, 2004 9:05:48 AM

I'm want to get a pda web browser for use on my home network. What's
the cheapest solution available at the moment (new or recon, single
unit or pda plus card)?

More about : cheapest pocket palm

November 19, 2004 3:44:54 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, anthony james wrote:
> I'm want to get a pda web browser for use on my home network.
> What's the cheapest solution available at the moment (new or
> recon, single unit or pda plus card)?

You might be able to get one for free by clicking here:
freepalms.com/index.php?AFFID=711
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:02:44 PM

In article <c5beef61.0411190605.332a0aa9@posting.google.com>, anthony james
wrote:
> I'm want to get a pda web browser for use on my home network. What's
> the cheapest solution available at the moment (new or recon, single
> unit or pda plus card)?

Depends on what you want to do with it. A pretty cheap setup (going by
eBay) is a Handera 330 and a Compact Flash WiFi card. Grayscale, and won't
do Javascript and such, but you can read websites and so forth. Looks like
you should be able to get both for ~$100 total. A TRG Pro might be cheaper,
but the screen's only 160x160 there.

If you want color and such, along with Javascript, animated gifs, and so
on, the price jumps noticeably. Probably $200 or so. For home use, you
might look at using Bluetooth; not as fast as WiFi, and shorter range, but
for rendering webpages the processor is often the bottleneck.

Note that an older laptop with a PCMCIA slot and a WiFi card might well
meet your needs, for about the same price, and with a much bigger screen
(and probably better performance).

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Well, I say there are some things we don't *want* to know!
Important things!" - Ned Flanders
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 5:03:44 AM

Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> wrote in message news:<slrncq3sg2.hit.sorceror@dmc22317.local>...

> Note that an older laptop with a PCMCIA slot and a WiFi card might well
> meet your needs, for about the same price, and with a much bigger screen
> (and probably better performance).

This is really just to use as a remote control for a Slim Squeezebox
so it needs to be wifi (i've already got a WAP) and to render a pretty
simple webpage. Ideally i'd strip as much software off the pda as
possible.

Colour would be nice but not vital.
!