Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How did my Network Card Go Missing?

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2009 4:21:30 PM

All of a sudden, I seem to be "missing" my network card on my computer.

I came home yesterday to find that the internet wasn't working. From the command prompt, I ran IPCONFIG only to find the phrase, "Windows IP Configuration" and then nothing else listed. I checked the hardware devices and had nothing in error state or warning state, but then suddenly realized...that there was no network adaptor/card listed! It is integrated onto the motherboard, not a separate part.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this? Networking and such isn't my thing, so this has me stumpted.

Thanks!

More about : network card missing

February 19, 2009 7:13:31 PM

vulcan1 said:
All of a sudden, I seem to be "missing" my network card on my computer.

I came home yesterday to find that the internet wasn't working. From the command prompt, I ran IPCONFIG only to find the phrase, "Windows IP Configuration" and then nothing else listed. I checked the hardware devices and had nothing in error state or warning state, but then suddenly realized...that there was no network adaptor/card listed! It is integrated onto the motherboard, not a separate part.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this? Networking and such isn't my thing, so this has me stumpted.

Thanks!

Try reinstalling from your driver disc.
February 19, 2009 8:03:09 PM

Were you able to check the adapter status on the device manager?
Related resources
February 19, 2009 9:19:29 PM

I tried re-installing the driver, but the installation disk stops before installation of the driver and says, "Please shut down and plug Realtek PCIE card to complete the installation." As I said, this is a motherboard integrated card, so I'm at a loss as to what to do if it is not being detected at all.

The adapter status is completely missing in the device manager. Not even errors or anything. Just hours before this, the internet worked fine on the computer. I had not done any work on it. Oh, and I had not done any updates either. (DId the normal virus and spyware search with clean results) Did I just have a component go bad??? This rig is barely a year old!
February 19, 2009 9:25:09 PM

Very interesting problem. Chuck it up to weirdness and go drop in a $20 NIC, that's my advice.
February 19, 2009 9:40:15 PM

You should try first a system restore.It might work!
February 19, 2009 9:40:17 PM

You should try first a system restore.It might work!
February 19, 2009 10:14:08 PM

I'll try that and see.
February 20, 2009 3:38:56 PM

any updates?
February 20, 2009 4:15:57 PM

Thanks for all of your replies; I really do appreciate it!

I tried a system restore to a few days ago with no results. I tried another one to a week ago and same thing.

I'm strongly suspect that the component died. I already have another network card I can install tonght and (hopefully) just be done with it. I am a little frustrated that I haven't pinpointed the cause yet, though. It still feels like something might be lurking in the background that might affect something else, you know?

I have NEVER had a component just all of a sudden go missing all together. It's just bizzare.

I'll write more after the new card is installed. Obviously, highest and best would still be to have the original work, so if anyone has any other ideas, I'm certainly all ears. (P.S. I did submit the issue to Gigabyte but haven't heard back yet.)

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Quad Core 775 Intel P35 Express 1333FSB DDR2-1066 PCI.e Motherboard. I've had absolutely no problems until now.
February 22, 2009 1:58:11 PM

I had the exact same problem you did Vulcan. I did what one of the other posters did. Had a spare Rosewill nic card laying around. SO I threw that in. Let me know what you find. I just assumed the onboard nic went bad.
January 29, 2010 7:08:38 PM

Three of our computers "lost" their on-board network cards today. We replaced the first two and caulked it up to "weirdness", but after the third one hit after lunch, I'm suspicious!
March 3, 2010 1:53:56 PM

I've had an identical problem, my onboard ethernet card completely disappeared as far as the computer was concerned and I've not been able to get it working since. Tried reinstalling the drivers that came with it too but it had no effect.

Just installed a new network card into a PCI slot and that isn't being detected either which makes me wonder about a possible software problem. I tried installing the drivers that came with it and the program says that I need to plug the card in first! Apparently Windows should at least detect it as an unknown device.

Has anyone got any ideas about what is causig this? Did the new network card work for you Vulcan?
March 5, 2010 7:51:01 PM

Well it seems my onboard network card is dud but I have now got the new card working! All I did was unplug the power supply to the motherboard , then plugged it back in, switched the computer on and XP detected the new card - huzzah!

I'm not entirely clear on how this worked, all I can think is that something reset when I pulled out and plugged back in.
October 22, 2010 4:35:22 AM

thanks for this post.. i had the same problem on windows 7 but i just follow what you did i unplug the power supply on the mobo then plugged it back now its working. thanks again..
September 5, 2012 8:56:20 AM

The same situation here. Bout 3 to 4 times if i might add. What i did was format the PC (since no solution forthcoming), the NIC showed up again but only to disappear after some days later. Disturbing!. Just tried it again this morning and everything seemed fine; then BOOM! its gone again. What do i? What i do?
October 3, 2012 2:16:39 PM

I have a similar problem. Mine is detected but constantly disabled. When I enable it it goes thru the process and tells me its enabled but when I look back at the network connection it says "disabled". Any advice?
January 12, 2013 7:43:30 PM

The onboard Network card on my HP Mediacenter PC (XP) also disappeared from the device list without warning. I was ready to go and buy a new NIC with all of its hastle, but based upon a post here, I opened up the box and re-seated the power cable to the motherboard. It worked!! Thanks for saving me a lot of time.
April 8, 2013 4:11:06 PM

Had the same issue on an ancient box running Windows XP, with an external NIC. Opened the case, removed the card, plugged into a different PCI slot for the good measure - bingo!
!