Start/Run - hundreds of internet URLS????

August 26, 2005 5:36:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I went to Start/Run and all my things were gone such as regedit, msconfig
etc. - replaced by hundreds of past URLS I've been to. How can this be
possible since I don't use Start/Run to go to websites? I can't delete them
either. How do I get rid of them. Agent Ransack can't find them on my PC
and my Temp and Temporary Internet folders are empty. How can I get rid of
these old URLs?

Thanks......

FS~ WXP-Home/SP2
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:50:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Could these possibly be Internet logs under Windows? Such as Xdb4.tmp ?
What is the tvDebug.log at 18,000KBs?

FS~

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I went to Start/Run and all my things were gone such as regedit, msconfig
>etc. - replaced by hundreds of past URLS I've been to. How can this be
>possible since I don't use Start/Run to go to websites? I can't delete
>them either. How do I get rid of them. Agent Ransack can't find them on
>my PC and my Temp and Temporary Internet folders are empty. How can I get
>rid of these old URLs?
>
> Thanks......
>
> FS~ WXP-Home/SP2
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:37:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When you type-in a letter in Start, Run text box, the auto-complete list box
will be displayed, populated with entries from these two different areas:

- Entries in the RunMRU registry location
- Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file

The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button in
Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
deleting the index.dat using the methods described
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open Internet
Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click the Auto
Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web addresses.
Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL + ENTER
functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Could these possibly be Internet logs under Windows? Such as Xdb4.tmp ?
> What is the tvDebug.log at 18,000KBs?
>
> FS~
>

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>I went to Start/Run and all my things were gone such as regedit, msconfig
>>etc. - replaced by hundreds of past URLS I've been to. How can this be
>>possible since I don't use Start/Run to go to websites? I can't delete
>>them either. How do I get rid of them. Agent Ransack can't find them on
>>my PC and my Temp and Temporary Internet folders are empty. How can I get
>>rid of these old URLs?
>>
>> Thanks......
>>
>> FS~ WXP-Home/SP2

August 26, 2005 4:37:01 PM

news:o Ngt6ygqFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> When you type-in a letter in Start, Run text box, the auto-complete list
> box will be displayed, populated with entries from these two different
> areas:
>
> - Entries in the RunMRU registry location
> - Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file

## OK. I have this PC for 2 years and never saw Urls in Run before.

> The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
> normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
> file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button in
> Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
> deleting the index.dat using the methods described
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

## I think that did it. Thanks. :-) Unfortunately I lost all the RUN
commands I had there.

> To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open
> Internet Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click the
> Auto Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web
> addresses. Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL +
> ENTER functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.

## Thanks,... that's ok as I didn't use CTRL+ENTER anyway.

FS~

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Could these possibly be Internet logs under Windows? Such as Xdb4.tmp ?
>> What is the tvDebug.log at 18,000KBs?
>>
>> FS~
>>

>> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>I went to Start/Run and all my things were gone such as regedit, msconfig
>>>etc. - replaced by hundreds of past URLS I've been to. How can this be
>>>possible since I don't use Start/Run to go to websites? I can't delete
>>>them either. How do I get rid of them. Agent Ransack can't find them on
>>>my PC and my Temp and Temporary Internet folders are empty. How can I
>>>get rid of these old URLs?
>>>
>>> Thanks......
>>>
>>> FS~ WXP-Home/SP2

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:37:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You just lost the Run history of which commands you have used. Once you
type them in again they will be in the histiry again so no real harm done.
Unless you can't remember them. ;-)

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o 51vERhqFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o Ngt6ygqFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > When you type-in a letter in Start, Run text box, the auto-complete list
> > box will be displayed, populated with entries from these two different
> > areas:
> >
> > - Entries in the RunMRU registry location
> > - Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file
>
> ## OK. I have this PC for 2 years and never saw Urls in Run before.
>
> > The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
> > normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the
Index.dat
> > file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button
in
> > Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
> > deleting the index.dat using the methods described
> > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
>
> ## I think that did it. Thanks. :-) Unfortunately I lost all the RUN
> commands I had there.
>
> > To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open
> > Internet Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click
the
> > Auto Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web
> > addresses. Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL +
> > ENTER functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.
>
> ## Thanks,... that's ok as I didn't use CTRL+ENTER anyway.
>
> FS~
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >> Could these possibly be Internet logs under Windows? Such as Xdb4.tmp
?
> >> What is the tvDebug.log at 18,000KBs?
> >>
> >> FS~
> >>

> >> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:57:29 PM

=====================
Luckily I wrote most of them down in my PC notebook. :-))

FS~

> "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o 51vERhqFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o Ngt6ygqFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > When you type-in a letter in Start, Run text box, the auto-complete
>> > list
>> > box will be displayed, populated with entries from these two different
>> > areas:
>> >
>> > - Entries in the RunMRU registry location
>> > - Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file
>>
>> ## OK. I have this PC for 2 years and never saw Urls in Run before.
>>
>> > The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
>> > normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the
> Index.dat
>> > file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button
> in
>> > Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
>> > deleting the index.dat using the methods described
>> > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
>>
>> ## I think that did it. Thanks. :-) Unfortunately I lost all the RUN
>> commands I had there.
>>
>> > To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open
>> > Internet Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click
> the
>> > Auto Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web
>> > addresses. Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL +
>> > ENTER functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.
>>
>> ## Thanks,... that's ok as I didn't use CTRL+ENTER anyway.
>>
>> FS~
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP Shell/User
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >

>> > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
> ?

> msconfig
> on

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:06:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Clear History to get rid of the URL's

!