AMD Sempron(tm) 2600+ Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhound

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I've had my computer for about three years now and recently I noticed when playing games the computer seems to slow down like its over heating so I installed MBM and SIW and they both say the processor is running between 110c to 130c. I have checked around online and everything says the max for the AMD Sempron(tm) 2600+ is 90c. I tried cleaning the processor fan and heat sink of dust.. didn't help. So I put the fan speed up to max and its only brought the temp down to 114c while idle. Sorry if i did something wrong -first time posting here and the forums a little weird to me.

Motherboard
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model 7VM400M-RZ
Version x.x
Serial Number

North Bridge VIA KM400 Revision 00
South Bridge VIA VT8237 Revision 00

CPU AMD Sempron(tm) 2600+
Cpu Socket Socket A (462)

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 512 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

CPU Info
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / One Logical Processor / 32 bits
CPU Full Name AMD Sempron(tm) 2600+
Vendor AuthenticAMD
CPU Name AMD Sempron
CPU Code Name Thoroughbred
Platform Name Socket A (462)
Revision B0
Technology 0.13 µm
Instructions MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE
Original System Clock 166 MHz
System Clock 166.6 MHz
FSB 333.1 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache 64 KBytes
L2 Cache 256 KBytes

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
OMG!!! wow, ummmmm. yeah, i would sudgest first off is getting either a better heatsink, a new computer, or at least new thermal paste and make sure the old heatsink is spotless. unless you have a blow torch next to your cpu, i don't understand why it would be even at 90c

demonhound

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Yea it doesn't make since to me...two programs read that temperature right now its says 114c/235F wouldn't that kind of heat have fried something by now? Is it possible that the censor might be broke and if so is there anyway to find out or fix it without buying a new mobo?

G

The sesor could be broken I suppose. Try the fingertip test
Apply fingertip to heatsink-
Does it feel warm? 30-50c
Does it hurt a bit? 50-70c
Does it hurt a lot? 70-100c

or in your case

Can you smell burning finger? 114c

Reactions: LabRat 891

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Voltages.....I bet your voltages are set too high for that processor.

I also suggest considering a major upgrade. 130nm chips are old technology. Typically run hot as well.

-PM

An upgrade would be in line if you have the funds. Gaming with a Sempron has to be painful depending on the game you are playing.

It does sound like the thermal paste needs to be reapplied. Remove the old heatsink and clean both the cpu and heatsink surface carefully and thoroughly. Apply a thin coat of thermal compound to the top of the cpu with a credit card or similar item and then be sure to secure the heatsink properly back to the mobo. If the heatsink isnt flush to the cpu it will overheat even with the new thermal paste.

Be sure to get a good qualily thermal paste as well.

The thing is if you upgrade your mobo and cpu its likely you need a major overhaul of the psu, memory and the video card but its worth if if you have the dough to do so.

If those temps were correct, your system would be dead already. 82*c/180*f would be the dying point for most any cpu. But for safety sake I would renew the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink anyway.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Kinda funny, my daughter has the same chip and chipset on her socket 754 system, and she gets those same high temps, but only when using pc2008,in the bios it runs about 28c, couod be a glitch with the chipset cause the thing runs great. Oop, just saw it was socket a, the chipset she has is via km800, but it has the same problem

demonhound

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Yea I really think its a glitch somewhere. Thanx everyone for your responses. I gave the Pc a clean start and its running smoothly now (but still shows those insane temps) It's about time for an upgrade anyway the newest games are starting to best this old Pc

shohag

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I can't listen anything after formatting my PC. It tells that I need sound driver installation CD ? could anyone help me....plssssssss...its too urgent !!!

AMD Sempron(tm) processor 2600+,
1.61GHz,
512 RamI can't lis

free spirit

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.