Overclocking GPU- Temperatures

blumhar6

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
What is a stable operating temperature for a graphics card? Is the stable operating temperature different for different components? I believe for a CPU, 62 degrees Celsius is the upper limit for a stable temperature. However, I assumed that the same temperature applied for the GPU. I just read, in an article on this site, that "In practice, your GPU’s temperature should not exceed 90 to 100 degrees Celsius." If that is the case, then I can seriously overclock my GPU which maxes out at 56 Celsius.

I have also read that even though a temperature may be stable it will reduce the life of your component. Could it be that 90 degrees Celsius is stable but may significantly reduce the life of the component.

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
90 under full load is the upper heat limit. You need to relise if that card is running 90 inside the case eventually the heat is going to get to everything esle in there also.

I would try to keep the temps far lower then 90 on the GPU to keep my other temps lower as well, like the CPU under 70.

OC the CPU to 60'ish getting a nice overclock, lowering V as much as possible. then start working the Vid card and continue to watch the CPU temps as well. As long as the CPU stays 60'ish and the Vid card is under 90.... keep going :)

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi, it all depends on the video card and on the FAB process used. My gtx 285 has hit 90C on Furmark stability test, in games it does not go above 71C, and thats why high overclocks. if your gpu maxes out at 56C then you have a lot of headroom to OC, remember if you graph clocks vs temps vs power consumption it will be exponential, so be careful.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

You have it correct that heat is a big factor for a stable overclock of the CPU or GPU. But heat and temps alone should not be the only consideration. There are many posts here who are looking to fix stability issues and yey they are reporting acceptable temperatures. It mainly depends on the component itself and how much "overclock room" was built into it by the manufacturer. Compare the e5200 and the GTS 250, that CPU has lots of room to overclock and can stay fairly cool while that GPU hardly can overclock and remain stable.

I don't mind seeing my GTS 250 and GTX 260 max out in the mid 80s C. They're both XFX brand and have lifetime warranties. If you'll be 3D gaming for hours at a time, your card will reach high temps which is a good reason to buy XFX and others with lifetime warranties so that you won't have the worries if high temps will shorten its lifespan.

blumhar6

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I think I now understand that temps alone are not the only factor in having a stable overclock. I know this, because when i run prime95 my PII 945 (OC to 3.5) maxes out at 51C with the stock heatsync. However, my computer will still occasionally crash after 20 minutes on prime 95. So, my question is, what are the other contributing factors to a stable overclock on an AMD processor?

TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

CPU PLL and CPU VTT Voltage