Having really weird file problem with XP pro

August 26, 2005 10:54:34 AM

I changed the extension of an .exe file to .avi file but when ever I
try to change it back to the .exe extension, it changes to [file
name].exe.avi!?!?!

no matter what I do this happens. Have change file names before with
out this happening. Not sure if this is why, but once I clicked one
the file and media player tried to play the file. Only seems like this
one file is effected, however, now I'm kind of afraid to try it on
another file. This is driving me crazy! Is there some setting I'm
missing that'll allow me to set the file back to the .exe extension?

I am using windows XP pro edition. TIA!

More about : weird file problem pro

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:06:43 PM

Hi

A double-barrelled extension 'could' suggest a virus. Have you
virus-checked your system with the latest definitions for your AV program?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"just saying" <dale@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I changed the extension of an .exe file to .avi file but when ever I
> try to change it back to the .exe extension, it changes to [file
> name].exe.avi!?!?!
>
> no matter what I do this happens. Have change file names before with
> out this happening. Not sure if this is why, but once I clicked one
> the file and media player tried to play the file. Only seems like this
> one file is effected, however, now I'm kind of afraid to try it on
> another file. This is driving me crazy! Is there some setting I'm
> missing that'll allow me to set the file back to the .exe extension?
>
> I am using windows XP pro edition. TIA!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:40:26 PM

On the Tools menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab. Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check
box. Click OK.

Now try renaming the file back.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP