Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I've been going back and forth between eVGA and PC Power and Cooling about the issue I'm having with my build... namely, that just recently at random times input is lost to my monitor, the 9800GX2 fan cranks up to 100%, and I have to do a forced power down and restart. I initially talked with eVGA, who told me to RMA my video card (which I did). The new card has the same problem. I then talked with PC P&C, who told me that it is doubtful my PSU is at fault when I told them what I had inside my machine.

So I wanted to know what you guys thought... is the problem insufficient power? The tech at PC P&C didn't seem to think so. Btw, not sure why my sig still has my old 8900GTX, but the video card is the 9800GX2.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Run Memtest86. Run Speedfan to monitor your 12V line. If shows excessive variations, RMA the PSU. The rating is high enough, but it may be faulty. Speedfan will also monitor the CPU and GPU temps.

Mike.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Given the problem it would make no sense for the psu to be at fault as it would have nothing to do with loosing video if it happens randomly. If it happened every time you played a game or stress tested it would be a possible subject, but randomly it does not make sense. Also software programs are not an accurate way to monitor rail stability. The only proper way is to use an oscilloscope, which most people do not have.

At this point it seems more likely to be a software issue or a stability issue. Try running OCCT (custom CPU only) and memtest like mike suggested. Also, you may want to try changing drivers. The 177.92 beta drivers are very good if you have not tired them yet, I would recommend it.

Given what you have stated my guess is it is either your mobo or software based. I know you said it happens randomly but try finding out if their is anything in common with the crashes.