C&C 3/RA3 lagging up high res, upgrading 8800 GTS 320 mb ?

Hello. Last year I bought a comp since 2000 (Had an Amd Duron 700 mhz 320 megs ram 14 gigs hd hercules prophet 64 mb graphics card), with specs - Amd Athlon 64 Dual Core 5200 + 2.6 ghz, with all my rebates and discounts for about 200 $, and upon purchase I replaced the graphics card with a 8800 GTS 320 MB PNY card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133193, got a seemingly good reviewed 550 watt power supply from rosewill, and 2 gigs more of ram, so the ram is now also at 4 gigs , though the system only recognizes 3.2 on 32 bit vista.

Ive noticed command and conquer 3, and particularly the red alert 3 beta I've been playing, and also world in conflict, suffer some decent slowdown framerates on very high settings, and I am on a 1920 x 1080 resolution on my 46 " tv.

I am wondering which of my specs are creating the weaknesses; I would assume I have enough ram, but I don't know how well 2.6 ghz 5200 + Athlon holds up or if that has any effect on it, maybe overclocking it would help? Also I dont know if Vista makes it any laggier.

I heard the 320 cache card I have may be also causing a problem, so with prices going down I am wondering about buying a Geforce 8800 GTX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133187, or should I get the newer 9800 GTX? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500039 Which one do you guys think is better?

I also hope neither card is longer than the already big one I have now; I literally could barely fit it in without touching the ram sticks with it

Also, would my 550 W power supply need to be improved with either higher cards?

Thank you for any answers or suggestions.
9 answers Last reply
More about lagging high upgrading 8800
  1. 1. Never trust rosewill PSUs
    2. Anything over 1680x1050 will be punished by the GTS320's lack of an abundant amount of vram
    3. CPU could possibly bottleneck the card, although I am doubtful of it significantly hurting fps.

So, if you were to get a better card I would go with the HD4850. It has plenty of Vram and enough power to push those frames at that resolution.
    Secondly, I would recommend that you purchase a higher quality power supplies such as the Corsair models.
  2. I'm not too familiar with ATI cards, would probably want to go with one of those
  3. It could also be your CPU - does it happen when there are a ton of units on screen? I can even get Command and Conquer Generals to stutter on my laptop with a sufficient number of units, and I guarantee you that the video card is up to the task (Geforce Go 7950 GTX). That is on a Core 2 Duo 7600G @ 2.83GHz as well, so it can really bog down a quite fast system (and yes, C&C 3 lags too on that system with a ton of units)
  4. Its actually not even with lots of units sometimes...but I think its the 1920 x 1080 resolution on very high that is straining it...since on the monitor 1600 x 1200 its actually practically lagless in most circumstances
  5. I agree with cjl. You are playing very CPU intensive games. My post was refering to non-CPU intensive games. So on top of all the things that I have reccomended, I also reccomend that you upgrade to a higher clocked athlon part, or if you just want to play supreme commander, get a phenom, as quads help that game quite a bit.
  6. If it plays on max settings at 1600x1200 and it doesn't at 1920x1080 then it's your video card holding it back. I'd go with the ATI 4850 for an upgrade, if you're totally against getting ATI then 9800GTX would be the way to go at what seems to be your price point.
  7. terror112 said:
    1. Never trust rosewill PSUs
    2. Anything over 1680x1050 will be punished by the GTS320's lack of an abundant amount of vram
    3. CPU could possibly bottleneck the card, although I am doubtful of it significantly hurting fps.

So, if you were to get a better card I would go with the HD4850. It has plenty of Vram and enough power to push those frames at that resolution.
    Secondly, I would recommend that you purchase a higher quality power supplies such as the Corsair models.

Actually a few of the Rosewills are of fair quality- better in fact, then most brands. A lot of the units on newegg have five star reviews all the way across. Granted, for a hardcore gaming machine, a Rosewill will be unacceptable, but they are underrated by far. I doubt you have even ever owned a Rosewill.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=32
    From a PSU expert. Read the whole review if still skeptical.
  8. cnc3 never lagged me and i have a e4500 stock + 7300GT.
    i play it on med @ 12*10. The only time it lags a little is when i got like 10k units on some infite money map.
  9. What makes that ATI so much better?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards RAM Graphics Product