Graphical Anomaly

Lucidious

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I'm getting what looks something like tearing on fast movement in any application; including video, window movement, gaming, etc. It won't capture in a screenshot. Forced vSync doesn't help. I've always had the problem with my current setup. I can't recall if my old video card was the same, and I don't have it to test. If anyone has seen this issue before, or has an idea of what it might be, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

I took some photos.

tear01.jpg

tear02.jpg

tear03.jpg

tear04.jpg

System:

Abit AI7 Motherboard
Pentium 4 Prescott 3e
Corsair Value Select DDR 400 512x2
XFX GeForce 7950GT AGP
Western Digital WD Raptor 150GB
Cooler Master 430W PSU
Samsung SyncMaster 710N

Yeah, time for an upgrade.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
It could be a problem with the video card...I had a 7950GT AGP and it lasted a whole month before the GPU failed. The 7950 has a much higher than average failure rate. Anyway, I would try uninstalling the video card driver, then uninstall the AGP driver, then reinstall them both starting with the AGP driver.

Lucidious

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
No, it's not ghosting, the image is getting chopped up with horizontal lines. That's the 710MP, I have the 710N which has a 12ms response time.

HPCE_Larry

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
12ms is still a little high, but you might also want to check the graphics card temperature. Make sure to blow out any dust in the fan, and that it gets adequate cool air.

Lucidious

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

Sorry, I forgot to mention I've tried reinstalling drivers. I did just find a chipset update though, and gave it a shot, but no change. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Yeah, I've been through the basics, temps are cool and case is clean. The problem is there no matter what temp it's running. Also, blurring (ghosting) is not my problem, it's a horizontal cut in the image that's the problem. FPS is not a problem, and 3dmark score is about as high as it gets for this system.

I'm pretty sure it's my GPU. Thanks for the help guys. Looks like it's time to build a new system. $250 for an AGP card, what a waste lol.

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Yes, my 7950GT was a total waste of money. I knew from the reviews that a lot of people were having problems with them, but gambled on it anyway. I lucked out and convinced XFX to credit me $250 towards a new 8800GT...only because they couldn't get the 7950 GPUs anymore. It took me about two months worth of tech support requests and several phone calls.

Lucidious

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

Now that I think back, I'm pretty sure this problem came about after I installed this new GPU. This monitor has always performed decently. Monitor is getting replaced too, though.

TRENDING THREADS