ASUS P5VDC-X Memory Question

trihedron

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Hello,

I have a ASUS P5VDC-X Motherboard, which I've had for a year maybe two, and I believe the memory has been going bad for the last 6 months. At random times the computer just reboots, no warnings, no BSOD, and when Windows comes back up it acts as if nothing has happened. This happends maybe once or twice a day, and since I'm very busy with other things and short on money for the past 6 months, i've tried to ignore it.

I ran a memtest on the ram at one point and it did come back with a read error (also when I'm playing WoW sometimes, it crashes and tells me "The Memory cannot be read". Is it time for new memory?

Can anyone make an recommendations for some decently priced, good quality ram?

Is this a good kit from newegg? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

I've tried to match all the numbers up, but I'm not sure I have everything I need. What numbers should I look at when I'm looking for ram?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciateany assistance!

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
The memory you linked would work in your motherboard. However, there is no guarantee that new memory would fix your problems. You might consider taking out your memory and blowing off any dust. Then, test each individual stick at a time, in both slots. You may be able to narrow down the problem - or it may just be a dust issue, a memory controller issue, a cpu issue.. an underpants stealing gnome issue, etc.

trihedron

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, I just pulled both sticks out and tested the individually, no errors this time. (Strange I suppose)

I'm almost considering building a new pc cause this issue is annoying.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I hear you. Intermittent problems suck.

You could try loosening the timings in the BIOS - to be more tolerant of the ram. If you haven't already, put 1 stick in each channel (that is, alternating slots). Do not place both sticks next to eachother.

But either way, the memory you linked could be used in a newer motherboard too, so it wouldn't be a complete waste.

mulambo187

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I have the same motherboard as you and have experianced the same problem with the computer turning off randomly. this has occured even after clean xp installs, vista..... pisses me offf to no end, and probably started a couple months after i got it, no luck from the store where i got it, pretty much told me its software and not their problem....

anyhow i bought 2 1 gig sticks today of 533 ddr2 from canada computers that the guys there said was supposed to work with my mobo. i was running vista ultimate. anyhow installed the new ram in the ddr 2 slots, and vista just went into a reboot loop every thing looked pretty fubared after that in vista

so im reinstalling xp pro as we speak and i was testing the 2 new mem sticks, but i was getting blue screens rigght after the part where you format the drive and theres some copying. took out one of the sticks and it seems to be going ok, any how i think im going to get a new mobo, this one is obviously the cause now, and i can probably get a far superiour one for really cheap.

cheers guys im out.

G

I've got the same mobo, had the same problem of the system shutting down. Turned out it was running too hot. I've increased ventilation and moved my portable heater away and that solved the problem.

TRENDING THREADS