AMD worker (Former Intel worker) charged with Intel theft

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Gee, makes me wonder if Intel didn't stage this one to try and get AMD in trouble.
Keep in mind, the individual in question is a former employee of Intel.....

AMD worker charged with Intel theft

Employee caught with documents and CAD files

Written by Iain Thomson in San Francisco

vnunet.com, 17 Sep 2008

The FBI has formally charged former Intel employee Biswahoman Pani with the theft of corporate secrets, including future processor designs and detailed schematics.

Special agent Timothy Russell of the FBI's Boston computer crime squad said that a search of Pani's house in July unearthed more than 100 sensitive Intel documents and 19 computer aided design files.

The affidavit states that Pani told his bosses at Intel that he was resigning and gave his leaving date as 11 June. He then used unused holiday to sit out his notice period.

Pani told his bosses that he was going to work for a hedge fund but in fact started work at rival AMD on 2 June and used his Intel laptop to access the company's servers and download commercially sensitive data.

An Intel employee found out about Pani's new job and informed management, who called in the FBI.

"Intellectual property is a critical asset for Intel," company spokeswoman Claudine Mangano told The Boston Globe.

"We basically asked the Department of Justice and the FBI to investigate the activities, and we are cooperating with that investigation."

Pani is not being held in custody but has been ordered to surrender his passport. He is no longer working for AMD, and there is no evidence that the company saw the secret documents or asked Pani to steal them, according to his attorney R. Bradford Bailey.

"My client vigorously maintains his innocence and plans to fight these charges in court," said Bailey.

The FBI is taking an increasingly tough line against staff stealing data from former employers, in the face of evidence suggesting that many employees are prepared to commit the crime.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226215/amd-worker-charged-intel-theft

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Lets all stop being choir boys shall we? This is business as usual, in ALL BRANCHES that develop "anything", jellybeans included. The only problem with this guy, he was stupid enough to get caught.

No biggie...NEXT !!!

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Well if it did happen then maybe it was to help AMD produce some proper processors that work better in current climate conditions as apposed to a maybe....

AMD sure needs that help... But this wasnt the way to go about it.....

The guy was a cleaner and they busted him for stealing toilet rolls.

All blown out of proportion guys.

Intel has core2 inside laminated on their rolls ... so the staff don't forget.

Doesn't anyone have a spy camera ???

Or a mobile hone with a camera on it ??

Der ...

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Why was i downrating for telling the truth ? Two rabid fanboys ?

Whatever brand you prefer will do this type of things. Jeezz . People are getting fanatics these days.

Sorry ... I failed the last fanboi exams and was thrown out of the AMD camps for traitorous comments.

Now I have been thrown out of both ...

Actually I have no idea what the guy was up to ... prolly got sick of marching to the corporate beat and sitting in a cubicle as small as a toilet.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
@Reynod - Actually, it's simple single ply TP, no advertisments on them. And the cubicles are much bigger than a toilet stall (unless you are talking about the handicap stalls, then they might be close to the same size).

@radnor - maybe they downgraded you for calling them "choir boys"? Anyway, I think jimmysmitty was referring to the OP's "Gee, makes me wonder if Intelintel didn't stage this one to try and get AMDamd in trouble" statement.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
He worked in Massachussetts. They don't make the processors in Hudson. Nor do they design them there. The best thing this guy got away with was a raid controller or a network chip. Kind of a stupid thing to steal.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

But alas he still stole it and it was Intels property..

Industrial espionage...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Former Intel Employee Accused of Stealing Corporate Data Points Up Insider Threat

In an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Timothy Russell of the bureau's Boston computer crime squad, it is stated that Pani told officials at Intel in May he was resigning to work for a hedge fund and would utilize accrued vacation time until his final official day June 11. However, allegedly, Pani began working for AMD June 2 and soon after accessed and downloaded 13 secret documents from an encrypted system at Intel.

Never saw that in the other news sites, as far as when he started working for AMD, and what his last day was at Intel.

But I do find it ironic that an Intel engineer would quit, and start working for AMD. Or does that happen often? I wonder if any former AMD employees started working for Intel? :lol:

This is exactally what I was talking about.

Nothing to do with AMD/Intel. Just the OPs stupidity.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

Lots of people have jumped ship -- both directions.

1. Dirk Meyer.
2. At least one (current) intel fellow.
3. At least two former colleagues of mine -- that's in a span of under five years.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

What makes you think he didn't have access to data from other departments through the company's intranet? Depending on his level within the company he might have had access to quite a bit of information on projects that he wasn't personally involved in.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Happens all the time in almost every industry. Crossing over to a competitor is usually financially motivated. For engineers at least switching companies usually results in about a 20% bump in pay rate.

At my own employer for many years it was common for engineers to get hired fresh out of college, work here for 5 years or so until they were experienced, and then bolt for our competitor that had an engineering office a few towns away. The unfortunate truth is that if they had stayed with the same company they would likely only be getting a small raise of maybe 3-5% per year while they could get a much larger increase by leaving.

A common tactic in the engineering world now is for companies to open new engineering offices located in very close proximity to the engineering offices of their competitors with the sole intention of luring away engineers from the competition.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Because the schlubs in Mass. don't have access to our servers in Oregon. Because crap like this happens.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Intel alleges Indian engineer of misppropriation

Accused and charged:

An Indian engineer named Bishwasmohan Pani was accused of misappropriating confidential information from Intel Corporation. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) filed the charges on Mr.Pani following a raid in his house which reportedly yielded 13 top-secret files with design plans of Intel’s processor chips.