Best way to clear CMOS?

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
So I need to try to clear my CMOS because I have a computer that won't turn on. I tried doing this a couple of times but want to make sure I am doing it right as my computer still will not power on.

First I unplugged power cord. On my mobo there is a jumper, so I took it off pins 2 and 3 and moved it to 1 and 2. After 5 minutes or so I put the jumper back on 2 and 3. Plugged the power cord back in and tried to power up, nothing happened, no post, no beep.

(1) Should I plug the power cord in while the jumper is on clear or leave power cord unplugged?
(2) Is 5 minutes enough time to clear CMOS or should I wait longer?

Lastly, I tried taking out the mobo battery as well. I unplugged power, took out battery for about 20 minutes, put it back in, plugged in power and tried to power up from there, also with no luck.

(3) So how long should I leave out the battery? I have heard anywhere from 1 minute to 8 hours, so which is it?

Thanks for the help.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
It sounds like you have all the bases covered, as long as you are sure that's the BIOS jumper and you know which position clears it and which is for operation. Taking out the battery is a generally unnecessary step which you did, I'll assume you cleared the BIOS after you took the battery out and before you put it back in, cuz all that detail you provide it would be silly to forget to actually do that step.

What caused you to do this process? What went wrong, bad BIOS flash, CPU failure, electrical event? Might the power regulation circuitry on the mobo be bad? Do you have a PSU tester?

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
To answer your questions, my computer just shut down and will not power back up. No post, no fans, no beep. Just a green light on the mobo and a blue light on the power button. I put in a brand new PSU, still without any luck. Took out all but one memory stick, along with graphics card. I guess I cleared the CMOS correctly or at least tried, but still no luck. Bad mobo maybe?? It is an intel mobo inside a generic Gateway that is 3 years old. I'm not sure what else to try other than replace it. Could the CPU have gone out or would that at least power up?