No Bios Screen Hanging up

damonr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Hey All, the assistance of greater minds urgently needed please. Well my very first homebuild was working great for probably six months but started to intermittently not come up with the bios page and just put Monitor into no signal standby. Now all the time, if I'm very lucky I get the mobo splash screen frozen. All fans, drives, leds working normally but none on USB mouse or keyboard. Thought it was the cpu heatsink fan 'cos it seemed to stall for the first few seconds and I'd had a low fan speed warning on a few of the earlier startups. Started stripping out components, resetting BIOS, nothing seemed to affect it. So just replaced heatsink with the massive Zalman CNPS9700NT pricy i know but hey if it solves the problem and looks good what the heck.... well it didn't. Ok so back to the forums and found the tip about starting with just one memory stick. Tried that: PSU, Mobo, Graphics Card and 1 memory Stick (and later with 2 HDs) and it starts up perfectly normally.

So my question is:
Is this a memory issue, or BIOS, or do I get the gist from the forums that this is a voltage issue and secondly how to fix and run with the old 2x1Gb sticks:

System is
Antec 900 ATX9 case
E8400 LGA775 Wolfdale 1333FSB 6mB retail
Gigabyte GA-P354 DS3L Mobo
Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 2x1Gb DDR2-1066
EVGA geforce 8800GT 600mhz 512mb
Enermax all in one 535W ATX12V

Also running with the 1 memory stick the new heatsink fan doesn't seem to want to spin even though it was when the blank no Bios screen w2as happening. I've turned of the power management fan thingy in Bios and so now it does run Full blast like 2200 rpm.... sounds like a wind tunnel....> Anyone else have this cooler and is it normal for it not to spin when the cpu is cool?

Thanking kind Folks in advance and let me know if I left out pertinent info

damonr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
FYI anyone who has a similar problem, turned out it was one of the Crucial Ballistix Memory, seems these sticks have developed an instability with P35 based mobos and will eventually fail.