SLI works sometimes

G

Okay heres the deal. I recently built a new computer well mostly new anyway, and it worked good. Then I decided to put in another 8800gt and the problems started. Im pretty sure SLI is working because my games do run faster for the most part but they have serious issues. For example when I play Crysis if I load a saved file it runs smooth and loads fast but if I play for a minute and then die when I reload to the same checkpoint it is unplayable. The framerate drops from about 30-35fps down to 3-5 fps in the same area after respawning. Also Age of Conan runs great at max settings and 16x AA but sometimes after a load screen in the same area that was running fine before it does the same thing crysis does. Except in age of conan when I change the AA from 16x to 8x and then back to 16x again it works fine at least for a little while. I am very frustrated and angry now that I have spent all this money and it doesnt work properly. Any and all help is appreciated and I thank you all in advance. My specs are below.

EVGA 780i board
c2q6600 @ 3.2
4 gb corsair xms2 800mhz ram
2 ZOTAC Amp edition 8800gt in SLI
PC power and cooling 750w silencer
1 7200rpm SATA hd
2 dvd drives
Vista 64 Ultimate sp1
(cards are on the 177.79 whql candidate drivers and the board is flashed to p07 bios)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Welcome to the SLI club. Not only did you waste your money but your gaming sucks as well.

I cant stess it enough SLI is a BIG waste of money. The extra cash spent for the motherboard and the the extra card, you could have bought a P35/P45 and a x2 graphic card, and been able to play without the SLI hastles.

Try older drivers although it probably wont help.

Okay heres the deal. I recently built a new computer well mostly new anyway, and it worked good. Then I decided to put in another 8800gt and the problems started. Im pretty sure SLI is working because my games do run faster for the most part but they have serious issues. For example when I play Crysis if I load a saved file it runs smooth and loads fast but if I play for a minute and then die when I reload to the same checkpoint it is unplayable. The framerate drops from about 30-35fps down to 3-5 fps in the same area after respawning. Also Age of Conan runs great at max settings and 16x AA but sometimes after a load screen in the same area that was running fine before it does the same thing crysis does. Except in age of conan when I change the AA from 16x to 8x and then back to 16x again it works fine at least for a little while. I am very frustrated and angry now that I have spent all this money and it doesnt work properly. Any and all help is appreciated and I thank you all in advance. My specs are below.

EVGA 780i board
c2q6600 @ 3.2
4 gb corsair xms2 800mhz ram
2 ZOTAC Amp edition 8800gt in SLI
PC power and cooling 750w silencer
1 7200rpm SATA hd
2 dvd drives
Vista 64 Ultimate sp1
(cards are on the 177.79 whql candidate drivers and the board is flashed to p07 bios)

I can't say about Conan, but your probs with Crysis is not an SLI issue so try re installing it, that's what worked for me.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I've had lots of problems myself with crysis.....I've had to reinstall the game a few times already with similar problems. And I don't have sli right now

pauldh

Illustrious

Oh please, that's pure bologna.

And if you are talking a HD3870x2 or 9800GX2, then they would still have these Crossfire/SLI "hastles" you speak of.

G

Well I first thaught the same thing that oh maybe its just those games but its not. Company of Heroes is messed up too, Sometimes when I run the performance test I get a min of 7fps and other times I get over 20fps. This is the same in gameplay as well, sometimes very smooth and sometimes its terrible. This happens regardless of if I have AA on to the max or off completely, the results are the same. I have tried reformatting my hd, new drivers, old drivers, different psu, and tested both cards individualy. I have posted this same problem in numerous forums online over the last week and I have tried many things that have not worked. I am open to ANY SUGGESTIONS AND I WILL TRY ANYTHING TO FIX THIS.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
uninstall and reinstall drivers for video card.
make sure both cards r properly seated. make sure there both pcie slot running at x16 or x8. is it possible bad sli cable? do u have a spare sli cable u can use?
sry man thats all i can come up with now.